Aug 26, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
In dealing with his torn Achilles tendon, Andrej Meszaros is looking at another prominent Philadelphia athlete as a benchmark for recovery — Ryan Howard.
The Phillies slugger tore his Achilles during his final at-bat of 2011. It was nearly nine months before he played again, a timeframe Meszaros is hoping to beat after tearing his Achilles in early August.
“It’s scary that he was out for that long, but I don’t believe that I will miss that much time,” Meszaros told the Courier Post. “Everybody heals differently.”
The 26-year-old blueliner is still on crutches and expects to remain on them for another 2-3 weeks (he had surgery on Aug. 7). He described the Achilles as “completely torn.” That said, he’s hoping to follow in the footsteps of a fellow NHLer who went through a similar situation.
More, from the Courier Post:
Meszaros prefers comparing his situation to a previous hockey injury: While with Carolina, one-time Flyer and current Los Angeles Kings winger Justin Williams missed just 11 weeks after having Achilles surgery in September 2008.
If Meszaros matches Williams, he’d be ready to play by Oct. 23 … and potentially miss just four regular-season games.
Without Meszaros in the lineup, the Philly blueline looks awfully thin. The top six would project to be Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, Luke Schenn, Nicklas Grossmann, Bruno Gervais and one of Erik Gustafsson/Marc-Andre Bourdon/Brandon Manning — this assuming Chris Pronger won’t return anytime soon and Andreas Lilja is out ’til November, as speculated by GM Paul Holmgren.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)