Aug 26, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
In dealing with his torn Achilles tendon, Andrej Meszaros is looking at another prominent Philadelphia athlete as a benchmark for recovery — Ryan Howard.
The Phillies slugger tore his Achilles during his final at-bat of 2011. It was nearly nine months before he played again, a timeframe Meszaros is hoping to beat after tearing his Achilles in early August.
“It’s scary that he was out for that long, but I don’t believe that I will miss that much time,” Meszaros told the Courier Post. “Everybody heals differently.”
The 26-year-old blueliner is still on crutches and expects to remain on them for another 2-3 weeks (he had surgery on Aug. 7). He described the Achilles as “completely torn.” That said, he’s hoping to follow in the footsteps of a fellow NHLer who went through a similar situation.
More, from the Courier Post:
Meszaros prefers comparing his situation to a previous hockey injury: While with Carolina, one-time Flyer and current Los Angeles Kings winger Justin Williams missed just 11 weeks after having Achilles surgery in September 2008.
If Meszaros matches Williams, he’d be ready to play by Oct. 23 … and potentially miss just four regular-season games.
Without Meszaros in the lineup, the Philly blueline looks awfully thin. The top six would project to be Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, Luke Schenn, Nicklas Grossmann, Bruno Gervais and one of Erik Gustafsson/Marc-Andre Bourdon/Brandon Manning — this assuming Chris Pronger won’t return anytime soon and Andreas Lilja is out ’til November, as speculated by GM Paul Holmgren.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)