Aug 26, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Nick Cousins, Philadelphia’s third-round pick at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, has been charged with sexual assault — along with two of his Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL) teammates.
According to a press release from the Sault Ste. Marie police service, the trio was charged on Saturday with an offense “to a female known to them.”
Cousins and teammate Andrew Fritsch — a Phoenix Coyotes draft pick — will appear in court on Oct. 1 while the third teammate, Mark Pettacio, has a bail hearing set for Monday.
Cousins signed his entry-level deal with the Flyers in March and participated in Philly’s prospect camp in July.
Here’s more from Chad Graff of the Philadelphia Inquirer:
[Cousins] is widely regarded as the Flyers’ top prospect. After being drafted in the third round in 2011, Cousins put up 88 points in 65 games for Sault Ste. Marie of the Ontario Hockey League. But he knows his role isn’t likely to be a point-per-game NHL player. He’s a natural agitator.
“That’s a huge part of my game,” Cousins said. “I grew up doing it. I just know how to get under people’s skin – the kind of guy you love to have on your team, but hate to play against.”
The Greyhounds organization has released a statement about the charged players. You can read it here.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 92
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (92)