Aug 26, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
Nick Cousins, Philadelphia’s third-round pick at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, has been charged with sexual assault — along with two of his Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL) teammates.
According to a press release from the Sault Ste. Marie police service, the trio was charged on Saturday with an offense “to a female known to them.”
Cousins and teammate Andrew Fritsch — a Phoenix Coyotes draft pick — will appear in court on Oct. 1 while the third teammate, Mark Pettacio, has a bail hearing set for Monday.
Cousins signed his entry-level deal with the Flyers in March and participated in Philly’s prospect camp in July.
Here’s more from Chad Graff of the Philadelphia Inquirer:
[Cousins] is widely regarded as the Flyers’ top prospect. After being drafted in the third round in 2011, Cousins put up 88 points in 65 games for Sault Ste. Marie of the Ontario Hockey League. But he knows his role isn’t likely to be a point-per-game NHL player. He’s a natural agitator.
“That’s a huge part of my game,” Cousins said. “I grew up doing it. I just know how to get under people’s skin – the kind of guy you love to have on your team, but hate to play against.”
The Greyhounds organization has released a statement about the charged players. You can read it here.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 16
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 5
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)