Aug 26, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Nick Cousins, Philadelphia’s third-round pick at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, has been charged with sexual assault — along with two of his Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL) teammates.
According to a press release from the Sault Ste. Marie police service, the trio was charged on Saturday with an offense “to a female known to them.”
Cousins and teammate Andrew Fritsch — a Phoenix Coyotes draft pick — will appear in court on Oct. 1 while the third teammate, Mark Pettacio, has a bail hearing set for Monday.
Cousins signed his entry-level deal with the Flyers in March and participated in Philly’s prospect camp in July.
Here’s more from Chad Graff of the Philadelphia Inquirer:
[Cousins] is widely regarded as the Flyers’ top prospect. After being drafted in the third round in 2011, Cousins put up 88 points in 65 games for Sault Ste. Marie of the Ontario Hockey League. But he knows his role isn’t likely to be a point-per-game NHL player. He’s a natural agitator.
“That’s a huge part of my game,” Cousins said. “I grew up doing it. I just know how to get under people’s skin – the kind of guy you love to have on your team, but hate to play against.”
The Greyhounds organization has released a statement about the charged players. You can read it here.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 12
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 21
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 32
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)