Aug 25, 2012, 8:40 PM EDT
Almost two-thirds of voters (61.82 percent or 285) responded “Yes.”
The question prompted some interesting discussion in the comments section as well. Here are two vantage points (click here for more).
I was selfishly cheering for him to get in, because I was a North Stars fan as a kid, but when they let Dino Ciccarelli in the HOF in 2010 the bar was lowered. Dino simply stuck around and got numbers; he never won a Cup or a major individual award.
I think Thornton would eventually get in-after a bit of a wait-even without a Cup. He’s got a Hart and an Art Ross, he seems like a lock to finish his career with 1,200+ points and he has an Olympic gold, a World Cup championship and a World Jr. gold to his name.
He also has about five years left to try for the Cup win that would make his election a no-brainer.
The bottom line is that Thornton needs to win the Stanley Cup before any Hall of Fame conversation can be started. He is very good no doubt, yet a birdie putt left “close” is still just a par in the end. I say “liquidate” Wilson and McLellan now, give Robinson the keys to the car and I can guarantee you Sharkies, that it’ll be “you and us” dancing at next year’s WCF.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)