Aug 25, 2012, 8:40 PM EDT
Almost two-thirds of voters (61.82 percent or 285) responded “Yes.”
The question prompted some interesting discussion in the comments section as well. Here are two vantage points (click here for more).
I was selfishly cheering for him to get in, because I was a North Stars fan as a kid, but when they let Dino Ciccarelli in the HOF in 2010 the bar was lowered. Dino simply stuck around and got numbers; he never won a Cup or a major individual award.
I think Thornton would eventually get in-after a bit of a wait-even without a Cup. He’s got a Hart and an Art Ross, he seems like a lock to finish his career with 1,200+ points and he has an Olympic gold, a World Cup championship and a World Jr. gold to his name.
He also has about five years left to try for the Cup win that would make his election a no-brainer.
The bottom line is that Thornton needs to win the Stanley Cup before any Hall of Fame conversation can be started. He is very good no doubt, yet a birdie putt left “close” is still just a par in the end. I say “liquidate” Wilson and McLellan now, give Robinson the keys to the car and I can guarantee you Sharkies, that it’ll be “you and us” dancing at next year’s WCF.
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 9
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 8
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 32
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)