Aug 25, 2012, 5:48 PM EDT
NHL.com’s John Kreiser breaks down how seven of the speediest skaters changed the game, spotlighting greats such as Bobby Orr, Paul Coffey and Pavel Bure.
Some of the best stuff revolves around No. 4:
No one, not even the forwards of his day, could skate like Orr. Not only was he incredibly fast, but he was able to make quick moves at high speeds, leaving checkers grasping at air. If Orr got a half-stride on a defender, he was gone — no one was going to catch him.
It’s no secret that a crackdown on obstruction put a greater emphasis on speed and skating, so Kreiser was wise to include an active player: Ottawa Senators prodigy Erik Karlsson.
Kreiser uses “game speed” as his greatest measure rather than who wins the fastest skater competitions.
But there’s speed in a race, and then there’s speed in a game. Few players are as fast at game speed as Karlsson, who won the Norris Trophy as the NHL’s top defenseman last season with the Ottawa Senators while running away with the scoring race among blueliners — and impressing Orr in the process.
Which other active players deserve consideration?
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 4
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 1
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 30
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 76
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 8
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness