Aug 25, 2012, 5:48 PM EDT
NHL.com’s John Kreiser breaks down how seven of the speediest skaters changed the game, spotlighting greats such as Bobby Orr, Paul Coffey and Pavel Bure.
Some of the best stuff revolves around No. 4:
No one, not even the forwards of his day, could skate like Orr. Not only was he incredibly fast, but he was able to make quick moves at high speeds, leaving checkers grasping at air. If Orr got a half-stride on a defender, he was gone — no one was going to catch him.
It’s no secret that a crackdown on obstruction put a greater emphasis on speed and skating, so Kreiser was wise to include an active player: Ottawa Senators prodigy Erik Karlsson.
Kreiser uses “game speed” as his greatest measure rather than who wins the fastest skater competitions.
But there’s speed in a race, and then there’s speed in a game. Few players are as fast at game speed as Karlsson, who won the Norris Trophy as the NHL’s top defenseman last season with the Ottawa Senators while running away with the scoring race among blueliners — and impressing Orr in the process.
Which other active players deserve consideration?
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)