Aug 25, 2012, 5:48 PM EDT
NHL.com’s John Kreiser breaks down how seven of the speediest skaters changed the game, spotlighting greats such as Bobby Orr, Paul Coffey and Pavel Bure.
Some of the best stuff revolves around No. 4:
No one, not even the forwards of his day, could skate like Orr. Not only was he incredibly fast, but he was able to make quick moves at high speeds, leaving checkers grasping at air. If Orr got a half-stride on a defender, he was gone — no one was going to catch him.
It’s no secret that a crackdown on obstruction put a greater emphasis on speed and skating, so Kreiser was wise to include an active player: Ottawa Senators prodigy Erik Karlsson.
Kreiser uses “game speed” as his greatest measure rather than who wins the fastest skater competitions.
But there’s speed in a race, and then there’s speed in a game. Few players are as fast at game speed as Karlsson, who won the Norris Trophy as the NHL’s top defenseman last season with the Ottawa Senators while running away with the scoring race among blueliners — and impressing Orr in the process.
Which other active players deserve consideration?
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 18
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 41
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)