Aug 25, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Congratulations to the Montreal Canadiens, whose uniforms have been named the best of the 122 teams that comprise the NHL, NFL, NBA and MLB.
Paul Lukas of ESPN’s “Uni Watch” came out with the rankings and justified the Habs at No. 1 thusly:
Proud standard-bearers for a league, a sport, a nation and now for the uni-verse as well, the Habs have it all: an iconic logo, two distinct but equally classic uni designs (it’s odd that the wraparound chest stripe only appears on the home jersey, but the road design works fine without it), and an ideal balance of red, white and blue. This isn’t just a perfect hockey uniform set — it’s a perfect uniform set, period. Unlike the old-school classics in the other sports (Yankees, Celtics, Raiders), it has some major visual pizzazz. Puts the biscuit in the basket, and then some.
Among the top 10 uniforms in the four major leagues, the only other NHL one belonged to the Boston Bruins, at No. 5.
The worst uniforms in the NHL, according to ESPN, are worn by the Colorado Avalanche.
Once upon a time, this was a passable-looking team. Not great, but passable. Now, though, it’s a jumble of ill-fitting elements — the apron-string jersey stripes, the pointless side panels, the laughable number font, the alternate jersey that’s just a Rangers rip-off. If a team could get a game misconduct for its uniform, the Avs would certainly deserve one.
The worst uniforms of all 122? The Sacramento Kings.
Here’s the full NHL list:
3. NY Rangers
10. New Jersey
13. NY Islanders
14. San Jose
20. Tampa Bay
25. St. Louis
28. Los Angeles
Feel free to fight to the death in the comments section over one man’s rankings of 122 team uniforms.
I’ll start it off – the Oilers got hosed.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)