Aug 25, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
NHLPA chief Donald Fehr spoke to reporters Friday in Toronto, and while he reiterated his optimism that a lockout can still be avoided before the CBA’s expiration on Sept. 15, he also sent a message to the owners that if it’s a game of chicken they want, it’s a game of chicken they’ll get.
“Look, the players aren’t afraid of a lockout, let me start with that,” Fehr said, as per the National Post. “You’d have to have had your head in the sand not to remember what happened seven years ago, and not to understand what happened with football and basketball. Everybody understands what can happen.”
So far, the players have been universally and enthusiastically supportive of Fehr’s leadership.
“Don is such a good communicator,” said Flyers forward Max Talbot. “You should see a room when he talks. He keeps our focus for four hours straight.”
“As smart as Don is, he does a good job of explaining it in a not-so-smart-kind of way,” Phoenix forward Paul Bissonnette said. “He uses simple words, and he’s not going all hardcore lawyer on us.”
Bissonnette added: “And he just talked about, basically, what they want, and showed us that they pretty much have no backup for what they’re talking about. He gave us a lot of information. He’s on the ball. He’s pretty witty. He’s funny. So he keeps us engaged.”
Of course, what will be interesting to see is how supportive players remain of Fehr should paychecks start getting lost. Google “NHLPA” and “mutiny” and you get quite a few results from 2005.
At this point, all we can hope is the union’s resolve won’t have to be tested like last time.
If it is, Fehr better hope it doesn’t result in comments like this one from an unnamed player in 2005:
“I am thoroughly embarrassed with the union. We’ve been preaching for five months that we’re not going to accept a cap and then we have the rug pulled out from under us at the end.
“How the hell do you think I feel? What did we go through all this for? We come out and propose a hard cap at the end. That was something we said we would never accept. I just can’t believe it.”
(Yeah, the PA was a bit of a mess back then.)
Sep 17, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
Insert your “humongous big” jokes here.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Quite an open letter.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
His agent says it’s best to leave town and avoiding being a distraction.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
“No matter how much my old teammates say it doesn’t bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
And on the possibility of his client signing an offer sheet? “Well, we’ll have to see.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
“Justin has emerged as one of our most well-rounded and dependable defensemen.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
“We’ve been told if we don’t give them what they want, they’ll be leaving town.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Veteran d-man just turned 40 years old.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
“That is significantly good to hear.”
Sep 17, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
“I’ve been with the team for eight years, and I don’t know if I’ve been more disappointed about anything that’s been written,” said Pierre Dorion.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Enter Radim Vrbata.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
“I actually thought I had a great year up to the Olympic break and even after.”
Sep 17, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
“The tenor of the talks has been good, so we’ll keep going and keep working on it.”
Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
Yet he says his contract status won’t be an issue this season.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
The Blues acquired him from Toronto.
Sep 17, 2014, 9:02 AM EDT
Those prospects could get longer looks if Ryan Johansen misses the preseason.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:56 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
“It’s extortion is what it is. I don’t make this stuff up.”
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 0
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 12
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 5
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)