Aug 25, 2012, 4:21 PM EDT
Dynamo Moscow general manager Andrey Safronov says the KHL champions will attempt to lure Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin to Russia should there be an NHL lockout.
“We will talk with Ovechkin,” Safronov told RIA Novosti. “It will be up to the head coach.”
Ovechkin played with Dynamo as a teenager before heading to the NHL. In fact, his last season with the club was 2004-05 when the NHL lost an entire season due to a lockout.
That 2004-05 Dynamo team also included NHLers Pavel Datysuk, Maxim Afinogenov and Andrei Markov.
If Ovechkin does sign with Dynamo, we imagine his contract would include an escape clause that would allow him to return to the NHL whenever a new CBA is agreed upon.
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 10
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 64
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- LIVE: Spurs can clinch title vs. Heat in Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'