Aug 25, 2012, 4:21 PM EDT
Dynamo Moscow general manager Andrey Safronov says the KHL champions will attempt to lure Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin to Russia should there be an NHL lockout.
“We will talk with Ovechkin,” Safronov told RIA Novosti. “It will be up to the head coach.”
Ovechkin played with Dynamo as a teenager before heading to the NHL. In fact, his last season with the club was 2004-05 when the NHL lost an entire season due to a lockout.
That 2004-05 Dynamo team also included NHLers Pavel Datysuk, Maxim Afinogenov and Andrei Markov.
If Ovechkin does sign with Dynamo, we imagine his contract would include an escape clause that would allow him to return to the NHL whenever a new CBA is agreed upon.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 24
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 40
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 34
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21