Aug 25, 2012, 4:21 PM EDT
Dynamo Moscow general manager Andrey Safronov says the KHL champions will attempt to lure Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin to Russia should there be an NHL lockout.
“We will talk with Ovechkin,” Safronov told RIA Novosti. “It will be up to the head coach.”
Ovechkin played with Dynamo as a teenager before heading to the NHL. In fact, his last season with the club was 2004-05 when the NHL lost an entire season due to a lockout.
That 2004-05 Dynamo team also included NHLers Pavel Datysuk, Maxim Afinogenov and Andrei Markov.
If Ovechkin does sign with Dynamo, we imagine his contract would include an escape clause that would allow him to return to the NHL whenever a new CBA is agreed upon.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)