Aug 25, 2012, 4:21 PM EDT
Dynamo Moscow general manager Andrey Safronov says the KHL champions will attempt to lure Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin to Russia should there be an NHL lockout.
“We will talk with Ovechkin,” Safronov told RIA Novosti. “It will be up to the head coach.”
Ovechkin played with Dynamo as a teenager before heading to the NHL. In fact, his last season with the club was 2004-05 when the NHL lost an entire season due to a lockout.
That 2004-05 Dynamo team also included NHLers Pavel Datysuk, Maxim Afinogenov and Andrei Markov.
If Ovechkin does sign with Dynamo, we imagine his contract would include an escape clause that would allow him to return to the NHL whenever a new CBA is agreed upon.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32