Aug 25, 2012, 7:12 PM EDT
New York Islanders forward Brad Boyes faces an intriguing (and high-stakes) career fork in the road.
On the negative side, he went from a $4 million annual cap hit in his previous deal to a $1 million salary for one season in Long Island.
“I’m real excited … he’s a heck of a player,” Boyes said of Tavares. “He definitely stands out. He’s made a great combination with Moulson too. They complement each other very well. To get an opportunity with those guys, I think it’s going to be great. You never know, but I’m looking to fit in with those guys or wherever I fit in. If I do get a chance to play with Tavares, I’m going to take advantage and I’m definitely looking forward to it.”
Things didn’t go well with Buffalo, but Boyes put up some impressive numbers during his time in St. Louis – particularly for a guy making $1 million.
His two standout seasons of 33 and 43 goals included unusually high shooting percentages, yet Boyes’ up-and-down path indicates that he’s a big X-factor for the Isles.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 38
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 3
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 28
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 14
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 72
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination