Aug 25, 2012, 7:12 PM EST
New York Islanders forward Brad Boyes faces an intriguing (and high-stakes) career fork in the road.
On the negative side, he went from a $4 million annual cap hit in his previous deal to a $1 million salary for one season in Long Island.
“I’m real excited … he’s a heck of a player,” Boyes said of Tavares. “He definitely stands out. He’s made a great combination with Moulson too. They complement each other very well. To get an opportunity with those guys, I think it’s going to be great. You never know, but I’m looking to fit in with those guys or wherever I fit in. If I do get a chance to play with Tavares, I’m going to take advantage and I’m definitely looking forward to it.”
Things didn’t go well with Buffalo, but Boyes put up some impressive numbers during his time in St. Louis – particularly for a guy making $1 million.
His two standout seasons of 33 and 43 goals included unusually high shooting percentages, yet Boyes’ up-and-down path indicates that he’s a big X-factor for the Isles.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 83
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (83)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)