Aug 25, 2012, 7:12 PM EDT
New York Islanders forward Brad Boyes faces an intriguing (and high-stakes) career fork in the road.
On the negative side, he went from a $4 million annual cap hit in his previous deal to a $1 million salary for one season in Long Island.
“I’m real excited … he’s a heck of a player,” Boyes said of Tavares. “He definitely stands out. He’s made a great combination with Moulson too. They complement each other very well. To get an opportunity with those guys, I think it’s going to be great. You never know, but I’m looking to fit in with those guys or wherever I fit in. If I do get a chance to play with Tavares, I’m going to take advantage and I’m definitely looking forward to it.”
Things didn’t go well with Buffalo, but Boyes put up some impressive numbers during his time in St. Louis – particularly for a guy making $1 million.
His two standout seasons of 33 and 43 goals included unusually high shooting percentages, yet Boyes’ up-and-down path indicates that he’s a big X-factor for the Isles.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)