Aug 25, 2012, 7:12 PM EDT
New York Islanders forward Brad Boyes faces an intriguing (and high-stakes) career fork in the road.
On the negative side, he went from a $4 million annual cap hit in his previous deal to a $1 million salary for one season in Long Island.
“I’m real excited … he’s a heck of a player,” Boyes said of Tavares. “He definitely stands out. He’s made a great combination with Moulson too. They complement each other very well. To get an opportunity with those guys, I think it’s going to be great. You never know, but I’m looking to fit in with those guys or wherever I fit in. If I do get a chance to play with Tavares, I’m going to take advantage and I’m definitely looking forward to it.”
Things didn’t go well with Buffalo, but Boyes put up some impressive numbers during his time in St. Louis – particularly for a guy making $1 million.
His two standout seasons of 33 and 43 goals included unusually high shooting percentages, yet Boyes’ up-and-down path indicates that he’s a big X-factor for the Isles.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)