Aug 25, 2012, 10:08 PM EDT
If a lockout shortens the 2012-13 season, a tough question might emerge: should the NHL “compress” its schedule to squeeze in as many games as possible?
Lance Hornby reports that Gary Bettman says the league hasn’t run through that scenario just yet.
“We haven’t even focused on what the timing should be, because my hope is we make a deal on a timely basis,” Bettman said.
The NBA’s 2011-12 season kicked off on Christmas Day 2011 with a compressed schedule of 66 games.
Bruce Arthur discussed the challenges that came from doing so.
Due to the shortened season, teams played an average of 3.9 games per week this year instead of 3.5. That might not sound like a huge difference, but not only does it mean more games, it also means fewer practices and weight-lifting sessions throughout the year. Throw in a shortened training camp and the inability for players to work with their teams’ strength-and-conditioning coaches during the lockout, and players came into this season in wildly varying degrees of shape. Strength coaches tried to develop a plan for this during the lockout, but NBA teams have a routine that is based on playing 82 games over 5½ months.
One can only imagine the impact it could have in a physical sport like hockey.
(H/T to Joe Haggerty)
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)