Aug 24, 2012, 10:20 PM EDT
While they aren’t Hall of Famers like the four players Toronto added to its Winter Classic alumni game roster, the Detroit Red Wings still bolstered their roster with a nostalgic foursome.
James Jahnke reports that Petr Klima, Dallas Drake, Garry Unger and Paul Ysebaert will take part in the game that will serve as a prelude for the 2013 Winter Classic (knock on wood).
- Klima is most famous for two things: 1)becoming the first Czech player to defect directly to a U.S. team and 2) scoring a huge OT goal for the Edmonton Oilers against the Boston Bruins in the 1990 Stanley Cup finals.
- Drake began and finished his career with the Red Wings, spending most of his NHL days with Winnipeg/Phoenix and St. Louis. He’s not that far removed from action, having retired after 2007-08.
- Here’s Jahnke on Unger:
Unger appeared in 216 consecutive games for the Red Wings after being acquired in a trade with the Maple Leafs on March 3, 1968. The seven-time All-Star went on to set the league’s iron-man record (since surpassed by Doug Jarvis) by skating in 914 straight contests.
- Jahnke also shares an interesting nugget about Ysebaert. He was the first Red Wings players to win the plus/minus award with a +44 in 1991-92.
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 3
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 34
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)