Aug 24, 2012, 10:20 PM EST
While they aren’t Hall of Famers like the four players Toronto added to its Winter Classic alumni game roster, the Detroit Red Wings still bolstered their roster with a nostalgic foursome.
James Jahnke reports that Petr Klima, Dallas Drake, Garry Unger and Paul Ysebaert will take part in the game that will serve as a prelude for the 2013 Winter Classic (knock on wood).
- Klima is most famous for two things: 1)becoming the first Czech player to defect directly to a U.S. team and 2) scoring a huge OT goal for the Edmonton Oilers against the Boston Bruins in the 1990 Stanley Cup finals.
- Drake began and finished his career with the Red Wings, spending most of his NHL days with Winnipeg/Phoenix and St. Louis. He’s not that far removed from action, having retired after 2007-08.
- Here’s Jahnke on Unger:
Unger appeared in 216 consecutive games for the Red Wings after being acquired in a trade with the Maple Leafs on March 3, 1968. The seven-time All-Star went on to set the league’s iron-man record (since surpassed by Doug Jarvis) by skating in 914 straight contests.
- Jahnke also shares an interesting nugget about Ysebaert. He was the first Red Wings players to win the plus/minus award with a +44 in 1991-92.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 67
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (67)