Aug 24, 2012, 10:20 PM EST
While they aren’t Hall of Famers like the four players Toronto added to its Winter Classic alumni game roster, the Detroit Red Wings still bolstered their roster with a nostalgic foursome.
James Jahnke reports that Petr Klima, Dallas Drake, Garry Unger and Paul Ysebaert will take part in the game that will serve as a prelude for the 2013 Winter Classic (knock on wood).
- Klima is most famous for two things: 1)becoming the first Czech player to defect directly to a U.S. team and 2) scoring a huge OT goal for the Edmonton Oilers against the Boston Bruins in the 1990 Stanley Cup finals.
- Drake began and finished his career with the Red Wings, spending most of his NHL days with Winnipeg/Phoenix and St. Louis. He’s not that far removed from action, having retired after 2007-08.
- Here’s Jahnke on Unger:
Unger appeared in 216 consecutive games for the Red Wings after being acquired in a trade with the Maple Leafs on March 3, 1968. The seven-time All-Star went on to set the league’s iron-man record (since surpassed by Doug Jarvis) by skating in 914 straight contests.
- Jahnke also shares an interesting nugget about Ysebaert. He was the first Red Wings players to win the plus/minus award with a +44 in 1991-92.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 5
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)