Aug 24, 2012, 3:37 PM EDT
With just weeks until the expiration of the current CBA, Dan Cleary delivered a harsh reality on the possibility of a lockout.
“I would say it’s 50-50,” Cleary told the Detroit News. “We’ll see. I was optimistic when we gave them our offer, but the league didn’t respond to it [favorably].
“The game has never been better. The parity is obvious, there are probably 18 teams who have a chance to win [the Stanley Cup]. Revenues are growing. Everyone would like to see the season started on time.”
Cleary, 33, isn’t on the NHLPA’s Negotiating Committee — Henrik Zetterberg is Detroit’s rep — but he has been active in meetings and labor talks thus far.
“It’s important to have veteran presence there, and to represent Detroit,” he told USA Today. “It’s not too far to go, either; the meetings are usually either in New York or Toronto.”
If anybody knows the harsh realities of what a lockout can cause, it’s Cleary. The 13th overall pick in 1997, Cleary struggled to find his niche in Chicago, Edmonton and Phoenix and after the 2004-05 season was lost, he found himself without a team, forced to make the Wings on a training camp tryout before signing a one-year deal.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)