Aug 24, 2012, 11:15 PM EST
Most expected the 20-year-old Bruins phenom would command an extension like the six-year, $34.34 million deal signed by Carolina Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner last week. But now Edmonton Oilers winger Taylor Hall has potentially raised that price tag with a seven-year, $42 million deal that will leave him with a $6 million cap hit and free agency at the tender age of 28.
Haggerty points out that Seguin must make up some ground to prove that he’s truly at the same point-producing level as his colleagues, though.
Hall and Skinner’s point-per-game rate is around .73-.75 (basically three points per four contests) while Seguin’s falls around .57.
Still, Haggerty believes that Seguin’s playoff experience and strong sophomore season could lead the way for a strong contract year.
Seguin also appears poised for a giant final season in his three-year entry level contract, and had the single best season of any of the three players in 2011-12 while scoring 29 goals, 67 points and leading the NHL with a plus-34 rating. So it would appear the Hall contract is the most money Seguin could hope for, but Skinner still appears to be the more likely comp for his next extension.
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 1
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 10
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 85
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 80
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 171
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (171)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (80)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)