Aug 24, 2012, 11:15 PM EDT
Most expected the 20-year-old Bruins phenom would command an extension like the six-year, $34.34 million deal signed by Carolina Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner last week. But now Edmonton Oilers winger Taylor Hall has potentially raised that price tag with a seven-year, $42 million deal that will leave him with a $6 million cap hit and free agency at the tender age of 28.
Haggerty points out that Seguin must make up some ground to prove that he’s truly at the same point-producing level as his colleagues, though.
Hall and Skinner’s point-per-game rate is around .73-.75 (basically three points per four contests) while Seguin’s falls around .57.
Still, Haggerty believes that Seguin’s playoff experience and strong sophomore season could lead the way for a strong contract year.
Seguin also appears poised for a giant final season in his three-year entry level contract, and had the single best season of any of the three players in 2011-12 while scoring 29 goals, 67 points and leading the NHL with a plus-34 rating. So it would appear the Hall contract is the most money Seguin could hope for, but Skinner still appears to be the more likely comp for his next extension.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 55
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 23
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming