Aug 24, 2012, 11:15 PM EDT
Most expected the 20-year-old Bruins phenom would command an extension like the six-year, $34.34 million deal signed by Carolina Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner last week. But now Edmonton Oilers winger Taylor Hall has potentially raised that price tag with a seven-year, $42 million deal that will leave him with a $6 million cap hit and free agency at the tender age of 28.
Haggerty points out that Seguin must make up some ground to prove that he’s truly at the same point-producing level as his colleagues, though.
Hall and Skinner’s point-per-game rate is around .73-.75 (basically three points per four contests) while Seguin’s falls around .57.
Still, Haggerty believes that Seguin’s playoff experience and strong sophomore season could lead the way for a strong contract year.
Seguin also appears poised for a giant final season in his three-year entry level contract, and had the single best season of any of the three players in 2011-12 while scoring 29 goals, 67 points and leading the NHL with a plus-34 rating. So it would appear the Hall contract is the most money Seguin could hope for, but Skinner still appears to be the more likely comp for his next extension.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)