Aug 24, 2012, 11:15 PM EDT
Most expected the 20-year-old Bruins phenom would command an extension like the six-year, $34.34 million deal signed by Carolina Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner last week. But now Edmonton Oilers winger Taylor Hall has potentially raised that price tag with a seven-year, $42 million deal that will leave him with a $6 million cap hit and free agency at the tender age of 28.
Haggerty points out that Seguin must make up some ground to prove that he’s truly at the same point-producing level as his colleagues, though.
Hall and Skinner’s point-per-game rate is around .73-.75 (basically three points per four contests) while Seguin’s falls around .57.
Still, Haggerty believes that Seguin’s playoff experience and strong sophomore season could lead the way for a strong contract year.
Seguin also appears poised for a giant final season in his three-year entry level contract, and had the single best season of any of the three players in 2011-12 while scoring 29 goals, 67 points and leading the NHL with a plus-34 rating. So it would appear the Hall contract is the most money Seguin could hope for, but Skinner still appears to be the more likely comp for his next extension.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)