Aug 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
More, from the Journal:
The Edmonton Oilers’ first overall draft at the June NHL entry draft was training before Monday’s skate at Perry Pearn’s three-on-three pro conditioning camp at K of C Twin Arenas and tumbled off the treadmill. He did skate Monday, but wasn’t on the ice Tuesday or Wednesday.
There is no firm report on when Yakupov will be back on skates.
While Yakupov is the one hurting, you have to feel bad for ol’ Perry Pearn. He was scapegoated in Montreal and, if this turns out to be anything serious, he’ll be primed to wear the goat horns again (yes, even though this is clearly not his fault.)
All joking aside, the Yakupov injury can’t be welcome news to the Oilers faithful — especially in light of recent history.
Taylor Hall, the top pick in 2010, appeared in only 65 games as a rookie before a high ankle sprain ended his season.
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the top pick in 2011, played just 62 games as a rookie while dealing with a series of shoulder issues.
Chances are the medical staff will be loading up Yakupov with antibiotics over the next few days.
You know, just to be safe.
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 0
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (45)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)