Aug 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
More, from the Journal:
The Edmonton Oilers’ first overall draft at the June NHL entry draft was training before Monday’s skate at Perry Pearn’s three-on-three pro conditioning camp at K of C Twin Arenas and tumbled off the treadmill. He did skate Monday, but wasn’t on the ice Tuesday or Wednesday.
There is no firm report on when Yakupov will be back on skates.
While Yakupov is the one hurting, you have to feel bad for ol’ Perry Pearn. He was scapegoated in Montreal and, if this turns out to be anything serious, he’ll be primed to wear the goat horns again (yes, even though this is clearly not his fault.)
All joking aside, the Yakupov injury can’t be welcome news to the Oilers faithful — especially in light of recent history.
Taylor Hall, the top pick in 2010, appeared in only 65 games as a rookie before a high ankle sprain ended his season.
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the top pick in 2011, played just 62 games as a rookie while dealing with a series of shoulder issues.
Chances are the medical staff will be loading up Yakupov with antibiotics over the next few days.
You know, just to be safe.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)