Aug 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
More, from the Journal:
The Edmonton Oilers’ first overall draft at the June NHL entry draft was training before Monday’s skate at Perry Pearn’s three-on-three pro conditioning camp at K of C Twin Arenas and tumbled off the treadmill. He did skate Monday, but wasn’t on the ice Tuesday or Wednesday.
There is no firm report on when Yakupov will be back on skates.
While Yakupov is the one hurting, you have to feel bad for ol’ Perry Pearn. He was scapegoated in Montreal and, if this turns out to be anything serious, he’ll be primed to wear the goat horns again (yes, even though this is clearly not his fault.)
All joking aside, the Yakupov injury can’t be welcome news to the Oilers faithful — especially in light of recent history.
Taylor Hall, the top pick in 2010, appeared in only 65 games as a rookie before a high ankle sprain ended his season.
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the top pick in 2011, played just 62 games as a rookie while dealing with a series of shoulder issues.
Chances are the medical staff will be loading up Yakupov with antibiotics over the next few days.
You know, just to be safe.
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 4
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 10
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)