Aug 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
More, from the Journal:
The Edmonton Oilers’ first overall draft at the June NHL entry draft was training before Monday’s skate at Perry Pearn’s three-on-three pro conditioning camp at K of C Twin Arenas and tumbled off the treadmill. He did skate Monday, but wasn’t on the ice Tuesday or Wednesday.
There is no firm report on when Yakupov will be back on skates.
While Yakupov is the one hurting, you have to feel bad for ol’ Perry Pearn. He was scapegoated in Montreal and, if this turns out to be anything serious, he’ll be primed to wear the goat horns again (yes, even though this is clearly not his fault.)
All joking aside, the Yakupov injury can’t be welcome news to the Oilers faithful — especially in light of recent history.
Taylor Hall, the top pick in 2010, appeared in only 65 games as a rookie before a high ankle sprain ended his season.
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the top pick in 2011, played just 62 games as a rookie while dealing with a series of shoulder issues.
Chances are the medical staff will be loading up Yakupov with antibiotics over the next few days.
You know, just to be safe.
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 19
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)