Aug 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
More, from the Journal:
The Edmonton Oilers’ first overall draft at the June NHL entry draft was training before Monday’s skate at Perry Pearn’s three-on-three pro conditioning camp at K of C Twin Arenas and tumbled off the treadmill. He did skate Monday, but wasn’t on the ice Tuesday or Wednesday.
There is no firm report on when Yakupov will be back on skates.
While Yakupov is the one hurting, you have to feel bad for ol’ Perry Pearn. He was scapegoated in Montreal and, if this turns out to be anything serious, he’ll be primed to wear the goat horns again (yes, even though this is clearly not his fault.)
All joking aside, the Yakupov injury can’t be welcome news to the Oilers faithful — especially in light of recent history.
Taylor Hall, the top pick in 2010, appeared in only 65 games as a rookie before a high ankle sprain ended his season.
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the top pick in 2011, played just 62 games as a rookie while dealing with a series of shoulder issues.
Chances are the medical staff will be loading up Yakupov with antibiotics over the next few days.
You know, just to be safe.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 4
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 23
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 40
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 16
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 94
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat, Pacers go to overtime in Game 1
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games