Aug 23, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
With a lockout looming, the list of NHL elders without contracts for next season remains a lengthy one. Notables include Mike Knuble, Brian Rolston, Tomas Holmstrom, John Madden, Jaroslav Spacek, Andrew Brunette, Jason Arnott and Brendon Morrison.
Not to suggest all those players would be signed if there were no labor strife, but according to Morrison, the uncertainty isn’t helping.
“We’ve talked to a couple of teams but it’s been real slow and with guys who are considered older, teams want to see what’s going to happen with the CBA before much action is going to take place,” Morrison, 37, told The Vancouver Province.
If there’s a bright side for all the unsigned veterans, a shortened season theoretically means less wear and tear on old bodies. In fact, an agent could make the case to a Stanley Cup contender that a lockout actually makes signing players in the twilight of their careers a less risky proposition.
The Kings had to play 102 games, regular season and playoffs combined, on the way to the Cup. For players in their late 30s, that’s a lot.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)