Aug 23, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
With a lockout looming, the list of NHL elders without contracts for next season remains a lengthy one. Notables include Mike Knuble, Brian Rolston, Tomas Holmstrom, John Madden, Jaroslav Spacek, Andrew Brunette, Jason Arnott and Brendon Morrison.
Not to suggest all those players would be signed if there were no labor strife, but according to Morrison, the uncertainty isn’t helping.
“We’ve talked to a couple of teams but it’s been real slow and with guys who are considered older, teams want to see what’s going to happen with the CBA before much action is going to take place,” Morrison, 37, told The Vancouver Province.
If there’s a bright side for all the unsigned veterans, a shortened season theoretically means less wear and tear on old bodies. In fact, an agent could make the case to a Stanley Cup contender that a lockout actually makes signing players in the twilight of their careers a less risky proposition.
The Kings had to play 102 games, regular season and playoffs combined, on the way to the Cup. For players in their late 30s, that’s a lot.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 29
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 8
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (29)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)