Aug 23, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
With a lockout looming, the list of NHL elders without contracts for next season remains a lengthy one. Notables include Mike Knuble, Brian Rolston, Tomas Holmstrom, John Madden, Jaroslav Spacek, Andrew Brunette, Jason Arnott and Brendon Morrison.
Not to suggest all those players would be signed if there were no labor strife, but according to Morrison, the uncertainty isn’t helping.
“We’ve talked to a couple of teams but it’s been real slow and with guys who are considered older, teams want to see what’s going to happen with the CBA before much action is going to take place,” Morrison, 37, told The Vancouver Province.
If there’s a bright side for all the unsigned veterans, a shortened season theoretically means less wear and tear on old bodies. In fact, an agent could make the case to a Stanley Cup contender that a lockout actually makes signing players in the twilight of their careers a less risky proposition.
The Kings had to play 102 games, regular season and playoffs combined, on the way to the Cup. For players in their late 30s, that’s a lot.
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 0
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 19
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 11
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)