Aug 23, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
With a lockout looming, the list of NHL elders without contracts for next season remains a lengthy one. Notables include Mike Knuble, Brian Rolston, Tomas Holmstrom, John Madden, Jaroslav Spacek, Andrew Brunette, Jason Arnott and Brendon Morrison.
Not to suggest all those players would be signed if there were no labor strife, but according to Morrison, the uncertainty isn’t helping.
“We’ve talked to a couple of teams but it’s been real slow and with guys who are considered older, teams want to see what’s going to happen with the CBA before much action is going to take place,” Morrison, 37, told The Vancouver Province.
If there’s a bright side for all the unsigned veterans, a shortened season theoretically means less wear and tear on old bodies. In fact, an agent could make the case to a Stanley Cup contender that a lockout actually makes signing players in the twilight of their careers a less risky proposition.
The Kings had to play 102 games, regular season and playoffs combined, on the way to the Cup. For players in their late 30s, that’s a lot.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)