Aug 23, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
Looks as though Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg has a fallback plan in the event of a lockout.
He’ll be playing the dessert game.
According to the Detroit Free Press, Zetterberg is aiding in the import of Royal Swedish Snowballs — a popular Scandinavian dessert — to a Detroit-area bakery.
From the Free Press:
The treats — sold for more than 100 years in Sweden — consist of a center of marshmallow-like vanilla crème covered in chocolate and sprinkled with coconut so they resemble snowballs. Zetterberg says they were one of his favorite childhood desserts.
The snowballs will make their U.S. debut on Sept. 5 at all 12 Just Baked cupcake shops. From noon to 1 p.m., Zetterberg will be at the Royal Oak shop, 32828 Woodward, to autograph Royal Swedish Snowball T-shirts for the first 50 people who buy the treats during his visit.
“I am so proud to have the opportunity to share a taste of my home with the people of Michigan. I grew up enjoying Snowballs, and I know generations of Americans will now love them as well,” Zetterberg said in an unintentionally hilarious comment.
And yeah, it is a slow news day.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 4
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)