Aug 23, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
Looks as though Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg has a fallback plan in the event of a lockout.
He’ll be playing the dessert game.
According to the Detroit Free Press, Zetterberg is aiding in the import of Royal Swedish Snowballs — a popular Scandinavian dessert — to a Detroit-area bakery.
From the Free Press:
The treats — sold for more than 100 years in Sweden — consist of a center of marshmallow-like vanilla crème covered in chocolate and sprinkled with coconut so they resemble snowballs. Zetterberg says they were one of his favorite childhood desserts.
The snowballs will make their U.S. debut on Sept. 5 at all 12 Just Baked cupcake shops. From noon to 1 p.m., Zetterberg will be at the Royal Oak shop, 32828 Woodward, to autograph Royal Swedish Snowball T-shirts for the first 50 people who buy the treats during his visit.
“I am so proud to have the opportunity to share a taste of my home with the people of Michigan. I grew up enjoying Snowballs, and I know generations of Americans will now love them as well,” Zetterberg said in an unintentionally hilarious comment.
And yeah, it is a slow news day.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 4
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 22
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)