Aug 23, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
Looks as though Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg has a fallback plan in the event of a lockout.
He’ll be playing the dessert game.
According to the Detroit Free Press, Zetterberg is aiding in the import of Royal Swedish Snowballs — a popular Scandinavian dessert — to a Detroit-area bakery.
From the Free Press:
The treats — sold for more than 100 years in Sweden — consist of a center of marshmallow-like vanilla crème covered in chocolate and sprinkled with coconut so they resemble snowballs. Zetterberg says they were one of his favorite childhood desserts.
The snowballs will make their U.S. debut on Sept. 5 at all 12 Just Baked cupcake shops. From noon to 1 p.m., Zetterberg will be at the Royal Oak shop, 32828 Woodward, to autograph Royal Swedish Snowball T-shirts for the first 50 people who buy the treats during his visit.
“I am so proud to have the opportunity to share a taste of my home with the people of Michigan. I grew up enjoying Snowballs, and I know generations of Americans will now love them as well,” Zetterberg said in an unintentionally hilarious comment.
And yeah, it is a slow news day.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (95)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)