Aug 23, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
Looks as though Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg has a fallback plan in the event of a lockout.
He’ll be playing the dessert game.
According to the Detroit Free Press, Zetterberg is aiding in the import of Royal Swedish Snowballs — a popular Scandinavian dessert — to a Detroit-area bakery.
From the Free Press:
The treats — sold for more than 100 years in Sweden — consist of a center of marshmallow-like vanilla crème covered in chocolate and sprinkled with coconut so they resemble snowballs. Zetterberg says they were one of his favorite childhood desserts.
The snowballs will make their U.S. debut on Sept. 5 at all 12 Just Baked cupcake shops. From noon to 1 p.m., Zetterberg will be at the Royal Oak shop, 32828 Woodward, to autograph Royal Swedish Snowball T-shirts for the first 50 people who buy the treats during his visit.
“I am so proud to have the opportunity to share a taste of my home with the people of Michigan. I grew up enjoying Snowballs, and I know generations of Americans will now love them as well,” Zetterberg said in an unintentionally hilarious comment.
And yeah, it is a slow news day.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 59
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal