Aug 22, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
In 1907, the Kenora Thistles defeated the Montreal Wanderers to win the Stanley Cup.
Over 100 years later, their championship banner has gone missing.
That’s the word out of Ontario today as Provincial Police say they’re looking for the public’s help in locating the banner, believed to be stolen from the Whitecap Pavilion sometime between Friday evening and Saturday morning.
In addition to the banner — which is white and burgundy, so keep an eye out — a Canadian flag and a Los Angeles Kings Stanley Cup flag were also taken.
Trivia time: Among the players on Kenora’s 1907 Cup-winning team? None other than Hockey Hall of Famer and namesake of the NHL’s top scorer trophy — Art Ross.
(Image courtesy Legends of Hockey)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 57
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 27
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15