Aug 22, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
In 1907, the Kenora Thistles defeated the Montreal Wanderers to win the Stanley Cup.
Over 100 years later, their championship banner has gone missing.
That’s the word out of Ontario today as Provincial Police say they’re looking for the public’s help in locating the banner, believed to be stolen from the Whitecap Pavilion sometime between Friday evening and Saturday morning.
In addition to the banner — which is white and burgundy, so keep an eye out — a Canadian flag and a Los Angeles Kings Stanley Cup flag were also taken.
Trivia time: Among the players on Kenora’s 1907 Cup-winning team? None other than Hockey Hall of Famer and namesake of the NHL’s top scorer trophy — Art Ross.
(Image courtesy Legends of Hockey)
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 24
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 40
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 34
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21