Aug 22, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
In 1907, the Kenora Thistles defeated the Montreal Wanderers to win the Stanley Cup.
Over 100 years later, their championship banner has gone missing.
That’s the word out of Ontario today as Provincial Police say they’re looking for the public’s help in locating the banner, believed to be stolen from the Whitecap Pavilion sometime between Friday evening and Saturday morning.
In addition to the banner — which is white and burgundy, so keep an eye out — a Canadian flag and a Los Angeles Kings Stanley Cup flag were also taken.
Trivia time: Among the players on Kenora’s 1907 Cup-winning team? None other than Hockey Hall of Famer and namesake of the NHL’s top scorer trophy — Art Ross.
(Image courtesy Legends of Hockey)
- Report: No suspension for Lucic spear of DeKeyser 22
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 5
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 113
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 54
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 17