Aug 22, 2012, 3:55 PM EST
It’s still not entirely clear why this afternoon’s scheduled CBA negotiations were canceled following a morning meeting between NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, deputy commissioner Bill Daly, NHLPA chief Donald Fehr, and the union’s second banana, Steve Fehr.
The Canadian Press did, however, catch up with Daly to see what was discussed in the morning.
“I think more than anything else it was to review where we are in the process, where we’ve come from, where we are with the various proposals and to determine how to move the process forward in the best way possible — hoping and understanding that both sides are committed to using the time left to making a deal as quickly as possible,” Daly said.
Based on that, we imagine this morning’s meeting went a little like this…
“Guys, we gotta start making some progress. It’s Aug. 22 and the CBA expires Sept. 15.”
“Agreed, the time to start serious negotiating is now. Otherwise we’re looking at a lockout and nobody wants that.”
“Alright, let’s do this thing then.”
“Can we do it tomorrow?”
“Tomorrow it is.”
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)