Aug 22, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
Count Washington Capitals forward Jason Chimera among those thinking another NHL labor stoppage would be foolish.
“You look at the revenue that the league has made,” Chimera told the Edmonton Sun. “It would seem pretty dumb to have a lockout now.”
Chimera isn’t one of the 31 players comprising the NHLPA’s negotiating committee, but was in New York for one of the earlier CBA meetings. He’s also a veteran of the lockout scene, having survived the lost season of 2004-05 (Chimera, then a member of the Edmonton Oilers, played with Italy’s Varese HC.)
“I think things are different this time around,” he said. “The lines of communication are definitely open. I was in New York for one of the meetings and it was pretty cordial.
“Everyone was talking about things and no one was up in arms and saying things like, ‘I’m not talking to you again until you propose this,’ which is good. They’re talking about the little things too, which means when it all comes into place that it’ll happen a little bit quicker.”
Chimera, 32, is probably as keen as anyone to get back playing. He scored 20 goals in 2011-12 — the highest total of his 11-year career — and will begin the first of his two-year, $3.5 million extension next season.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)