Aug 22, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
Count Washington Capitals forward Jason Chimera among those thinking another NHL labor stoppage would be foolish.
“You look at the revenue that the league has made,” Chimera told the Edmonton Sun. “It would seem pretty dumb to have a lockout now.”
Chimera isn’t one of the 31 players comprising the NHLPA’s negotiating committee, but was in New York for one of the earlier CBA meetings. He’s also a veteran of the lockout scene, having survived the lost season of 2004-05 (Chimera, then a member of the Edmonton Oilers, played with Italy’s Varese HC.)
“I think things are different this time around,” he said. “The lines of communication are definitely open. I was in New York for one of the meetings and it was pretty cordial.
“Everyone was talking about things and no one was up in arms and saying things like, ‘I’m not talking to you again until you propose this,’ which is good. They’re talking about the little things too, which means when it all comes into place that it’ll happen a little bit quicker.”
Chimera, 32, is probably as keen as anyone to get back playing. He scored 20 goals in 2011-12 — the highest total of his 11-year career — and will begin the first of his two-year, $3.5 million extension next season.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 47
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)