Aug 22, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
Count Washington Capitals forward Jason Chimera among those thinking another NHL labor stoppage would be foolish.
“You look at the revenue that the league has made,” Chimera told the Edmonton Sun. “It would seem pretty dumb to have a lockout now.”
Chimera isn’t one of the 31 players comprising the NHLPA’s negotiating committee, but was in New York for one of the earlier CBA meetings. He’s also a veteran of the lockout scene, having survived the lost season of 2004-05 (Chimera, then a member of the Edmonton Oilers, played with Italy’s Varese HC.)
“I think things are different this time around,” he said. “The lines of communication are definitely open. I was in New York for one of the meetings and it was pretty cordial.
“Everyone was talking about things and no one was up in arms and saying things like, ‘I’m not talking to you again until you propose this,’ which is good. They’re talking about the little things too, which means when it all comes into place that it’ll happen a little bit quicker.”
Chimera, 32, is probably as keen as anyone to get back playing. He scored 20 goals in 2011-12 — the highest total of his 11-year career — and will begin the first of his two-year, $3.5 million extension next season.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)