Aug 22, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
Count Washington Capitals forward Jason Chimera among those thinking another NHL labor stoppage would be foolish.
“You look at the revenue that the league has made,” Chimera told the Edmonton Sun. “It would seem pretty dumb to have a lockout now.”
Chimera isn’t one of the 31 players comprising the NHLPA’s negotiating committee, but was in New York for one of the earlier CBA meetings. He’s also a veteran of the lockout scene, having survived the lost season of 2004-05 (Chimera, then a member of the Edmonton Oilers, played with Italy’s Varese HC.)
“I think things are different this time around,” he said. “The lines of communication are definitely open. I was in New York for one of the meetings and it was pretty cordial.
“Everyone was talking about things and no one was up in arms and saying things like, ‘I’m not talking to you again until you propose this,’ which is good. They’re talking about the little things too, which means when it all comes into place that it’ll happen a little bit quicker.”
Chimera, 32, is probably as keen as anyone to get back playing. He scored 20 goals in 2011-12 — the highest total of his 11-year career — and will begin the first of his two-year, $3.5 million extension next season.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)