Aug 21, 2012, 12:11 PM EDT
While some wondered quietly whether giving that long of a contract to a player with a concussion history like Crosby’s was smart, NBC’s own Jeremy Roenick ripped the lid off of it.
Roenick appeared on nextsportstar.com with Josh Rimer and spoke candidly about how a long term deals like Crosby’s may not be the greatest idea.
“I don’t mind the six-year deals. The five and six-year deals that’s OK,” Roenick said. “When you give [Ryan] Suter and [Zach] Parise those 10, 12, 13, 14-year deals that’s like… You’re committing contract suicide.”
Then Roenick got rolling on Sid the Kid’s deal.
“And then you have the Pittsburgh Penguins who give the guy who has the biggest concussion problems in all of hockey a ten-year deal… I think Sidney Crosby’s the best player in the game, don’t get me wrong, but when you have concussion problems the way that he has in the last year and a half and you give him a ten-year deal I just don’t… Is that smart business? I don’t think so.”
Ouch. Shero might be too busy shining up his Stanley Cup ring to care what Roenick has to think. It’s not as if J.R. is saying something we may have thought ourselves, it’s just he has a much more blunt way of saying it.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)