Aug 21, 2012, 12:11 PM EDT
While some wondered quietly whether giving that long of a contract to a player with a concussion history like Crosby’s was smart, NBC’s own Jeremy Roenick ripped the lid off of it.
Roenick appeared on nextsportstar.com with Josh Rimer and spoke candidly about how a long term deals like Crosby’s may not be the greatest idea.
“I don’t mind the six-year deals. The five and six-year deals that’s OK,” Roenick said. “When you give [Ryan] Suter and [Zach] Parise those 10, 12, 13, 14-year deals that’s like… You’re committing contract suicide.”
Then Roenick got rolling on Sid the Kid’s deal.
“And then you have the Pittsburgh Penguins who give the guy who has the biggest concussion problems in all of hockey a ten-year deal… I think Sidney Crosby’s the best player in the game, don’t get me wrong, but when you have concussion problems the way that he has in the last year and a half and you give him a ten-year deal I just don’t… Is that smart business? I don’t think so.”
Ouch. Shero might be too busy shining up his Stanley Cup ring to care what Roenick has to think. It’s not as if J.R. is saying something we may have thought ourselves, it’s just he has a much more blunt way of saying it.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)