Aug 21, 2012, 2:35 PM EST
Sergei Samsonov didn’t play in the NHL last season, but he may be getting a shot to come back.
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports according to his agent Igor Larionov, Samsonov will get a tryout with the San Jose Sharks, but there’s a catch.
For him to get a chance to show what he’s got left there needs to be a training camp to try out in. If the NHL locks out the players, the chances we’ll see training camp decrease each day it goes on. As it is, the CBA expires on September 15 which is right about when camp would begin in the first place.
Samsonov last played in the NHL in the 2010-11 season with the Carolina Hurricanes and Florida Panthers scoring 13 goals and adding 27 assists. The Sharks may be hoping Samsonov can find old chemistry with fellow former Bruin Joe Thornton and give them a needed, and inexpensive, offensive lift.
UPDATE (4:09 p.m. ET): According to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty, Samsonov’s actual agent Neil Abbot says there is no training camp deal with the Sharks as of yet and that his client is speaking with many teams.
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 21
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)