Aug 21, 2012, 2:35 PM EDT
Sergei Samsonov didn’t play in the NHL last season, but he may be getting a shot to come back.
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports according to his agent Igor Larionov, Samsonov will get a tryout with the San Jose Sharks, but there’s a catch.
For him to get a chance to show what he’s got left there needs to be a training camp to try out in. If the NHL locks out the players, the chances we’ll see training camp decrease each day it goes on. As it is, the CBA expires on September 15 which is right about when camp would begin in the first place.
Samsonov last played in the NHL in the 2010-11 season with the Carolina Hurricanes and Florida Panthers scoring 13 goals and adding 27 assists. The Sharks may be hoping Samsonov can find old chemistry with fellow former Bruin Joe Thornton and give them a needed, and inexpensive, offensive lift.
UPDATE (4:09 p.m. ET): According to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty, Samsonov’s actual agent Neil Abbot says there is no training camp deal with the Sharks as of yet and that his client is speaking with many teams.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 57
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 23
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming