Aug 21, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
ESPN’s John Buccigross reports that the Buffalo Sabres are offering Shane Doan the lucrative deal he’s been asking for.
Most specifically, Buccigross says the offer would be for four-years and around $30 million. Doan is 35, so it would be a 35+ contract if that rule carries over in the next CBA.
The Phoenix Coyotes obviously want to retain Doan’s services, but term could be an issue if Buccigross’ tweet is correct:
Was told tongiht that Buffalo''s four year, 30 million dollar offer to Shane Doan is legit. Coyotes only want to go two years for now.—
John Buccigross (@Buccigross) August 22, 2012
Doan would fit in with the beef-up-Buffalo campaign, however.
GM Darcy Regier signed tough guy John Scott and traded Derek Roy for agitator Steve Ott to make the Sabres “more difficult to play against” next season. Adding Doan to the mix would continue that trend.
If Doan accepts that deal, he’d register a team-high $7.5 million cap hit, more than Thomas Vanek‘s hefty $7.14 million mark.
That would also push the Sabres close to the current, possibly temporary cap ceiling of $70.2 million.
For what it’s worth, Craig Custance listed Buffalo among the three teams that would sweat a dropping salary cap the most even without a Doan deal.
Dec 19, 2013, 7:17 PM EST
Phoenix is still pretty banged up, though.
Dec 19, 2013, 6:46 PM EST
George McPhee’s also glad Brayden Schenn isn’t injured.
Dec 19, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
He drew criticism for hitting Brayden Schenn Tuesday.
Dec 19, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Dec 19, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
Is there a lack of respect among players in the NHL?
Dec 19, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
USA versus Russia on Feb. 15 (7:30 a.m. ET, on NBCSN).
Dec 19, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
Weather forecast is looking good.
Dec 19, 2013, 4:24 PM EST
All the latest from the blue paint…
Dec 19, 2013, 3:36 PM EST
Three more games without their captain for the struggling Red Wings.
Dec 19, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
St. Louis hosts Montreal tonight.
Dec 19, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
Expects a sellout on Dec. 27 versus San Jose.
Dec 19, 2013, 2:38 PM EST
Rostislav Klesla called up.
Dec 19, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
Edmonton whipped Colorado 8-2 the last time the two teams met.
Dec 19, 2013, 2:24 PM EST
“You’ll see he’s a very good skating, smart, heady player.”
Dec 19, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Andrew Alberts will get another shot tonight in Dallas.
Dec 19, 2013, 1:21 PM EST
This after he played less than five minutes against Phoenix last game.
Dec 19, 2013, 1:03 PM EST
“Things are going well, let’s just let things happen,” said GM Dale Tallon.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:53 PM EST
“He’s a young player still, and sometimes you have those seasons.”
Dec 19, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
Flyers host Jackets.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
Shakeup time in Detroit.
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 16
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 47
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 54
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)