Aug 21, 2012, 8:40 PM EDT
Rishaug says that while Hall is “very close” to completing an extension, Eberle’s talks are merely “ongoing.”
Meanwhile negotiations continue with Eberle's camp. Wouldn't classify as close, but certainly ongoing at this point. #tsn—
Ryan Rishaug (@TSNRyanRishaug) August 21, 2012
Rishaug believes that the two contracts could end up being similar, even if the parties aren’t negotiating together and employ different agents.
Willis explains why Eberle might have more negotiating power, even if he isn’t on the team’s growing list of first overall draft picks.
While the debate continues as to whether Hall or Eberle is going to be the superior player over the long haul, Eberle likely has the most leverage at this point. A breakthrough 2010-11 campaign saw him score 34 times and record a total of 76 points; he was the fourth-leading scorer in the Western Conference.
The Oilers haven’t benefited from those high-end picks in the standings yet, but they’ll need to pay up soon all the same.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)