Aug 21, 2012, 8:40 PM EST
Rishaug says that while Hall is “very close” to completing an extension, Eberle’s talks are merely “ongoing.”
Meanwhile negotiations continue with Eberle's camp. Wouldn't classify as close, but certainly ongoing at this point. #tsn—
Ryan Rishaug (@TSNRyanRishaug) August 21, 2012
Rishaug believes that the two contracts could end up being similar, even if the parties aren’t negotiating together and employ different agents.
Willis explains why Eberle might have more negotiating power, even if he isn’t on the team’s growing list of first overall draft picks.
While the debate continues as to whether Hall or Eberle is going to be the superior player over the long haul, Eberle likely has the most leverage at this point. A breakthrough 2010-11 campaign saw him score 34 times and record a total of 76 points; he was the fourth-leading scorer in the Western Conference.
The Oilers haven’t benefited from those high-end picks in the standings yet, but they’ll need to pay up soon all the same.
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 6
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 5
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 8
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 101
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 128
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (106)