Aug 21, 2012, 8:40 PM EDT
Rishaug says that while Hall is “very close” to completing an extension, Eberle’s talks are merely “ongoing.”
Meanwhile negotiations continue with Eberle's camp. Wouldn't classify as close, but certainly ongoing at this point. #tsn—
Ryan Rishaug (@TSNRyanRishaug) August 21, 2012
Rishaug believes that the two contracts could end up being similar, even if the parties aren’t negotiating together and employ different agents.
Willis explains why Eberle might have more negotiating power, even if he isn’t on the team’s growing list of first overall draft picks.
While the debate continues as to whether Hall or Eberle is going to be the superior player over the long haul, Eberle likely has the most leverage at this point. A breakthrough 2010-11 campaign saw him score 34 times and record a total of 76 points; he was the fourth-leading scorer in the Western Conference.
The Oilers haven’t benefited from those high-end picks in the standings yet, but they’ll need to pay up soon all the same.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)