Aug 21, 2012, 8:40 PM EST
Rishaug says that while Hall is “very close” to completing an extension, Eberle’s talks are merely “ongoing.”
Meanwhile negotiations continue with Eberle's camp. Wouldn't classify as close, but certainly ongoing at this point. #tsn—
Ryan Rishaug (@TSNRyanRishaug) August 21, 2012
Rishaug believes that the two contracts could end up being similar, even if the parties aren’t negotiating together and employ different agents.
Willis explains why Eberle might have more negotiating power, even if he isn’t on the team’s growing list of first overall draft picks.
While the debate continues as to whether Hall or Eberle is going to be the superior player over the long haul, Eberle likely has the most leverage at this point. A breakthrough 2010-11 campaign saw him score 34 times and record a total of 76 points; he was the fourth-leading scorer in the Western Conference.
The Oilers haven’t benefited from those high-end picks in the standings yet, but they’ll need to pay up soon all the same.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 44
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)