Aug 21, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz believes that Couture should (eventually) try to parallel Skinner’s earnings the next time he discusses a contract with the San Jose Sharks, then.
Logan Couture’s eyes must have lit up when he saw the deal that Skinner, who edged out Couture for the Calder Trophy as NHL Rookie of the Year after the 2010-11 season, inked with the Hurricanes. The left winger will earn slightly more than $34 million over the six-year term of the deal, which averages out to a salary cap hit of $5.725 a year beginning with the 2013-14 season.
… The numbers that Skinner and Couture have put up in their first two full NHL seasons are eerily similar. In 159 games, the 23-year-old Couture has 121 points, or .76 points per game.
Skinner, 20, has 107 points in 146 games in his first two seasons, for an average of .73 points per game.
Luckily for the Sharks, they wrapped up Couture to a bargain two-year, $5.75 million deal that begins next season, so they won’t have to worry about throwing Skinner-type cash his way for a while.
Couture’s reps might make note of the comparison when contract talks roll around again, though.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 22
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 12
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54