Aug 21, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz believes that Couture should (eventually) try to parallel Skinner’s earnings the next time he discusses a contract with the San Jose Sharks, then.
Logan Couture’s eyes must have lit up when he saw the deal that Skinner, who edged out Couture for the Calder Trophy as NHL Rookie of the Year after the 2010-11 season, inked with the Hurricanes. The left winger will earn slightly more than $34 million over the six-year term of the deal, which averages out to a salary cap hit of $5.725 a year beginning with the 2013-14 season.
… The numbers that Skinner and Couture have put up in their first two full NHL seasons are eerily similar. In 159 games, the 23-year-old Couture has 121 points, or .76 points per game.
Skinner, 20, has 107 points in 146 games in his first two seasons, for an average of .73 points per game.
Luckily for the Sharks, they wrapped up Couture to a bargain two-year, $5.75 million deal that begins next season, so they won’t have to worry about throwing Skinner-type cash his way for a while.
Couture’s reps might make note of the comparison when contract talks roll around again, though.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)