Aug 21, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz believes that Couture should (eventually) try to parallel Skinner’s earnings the next time he discusses a contract with the San Jose Sharks, then.
Logan Couture’s eyes must have lit up when he saw the deal that Skinner, who edged out Couture for the Calder Trophy as NHL Rookie of the Year after the 2010-11 season, inked with the Hurricanes. The left winger will earn slightly more than $34 million over the six-year term of the deal, which averages out to a salary cap hit of $5.725 a year beginning with the 2013-14 season.
… The numbers that Skinner and Couture have put up in their first two full NHL seasons are eerily similar. In 159 games, the 23-year-old Couture has 121 points, or .76 points per game.
Skinner, 20, has 107 points in 146 games in his first two seasons, for an average of .73 points per game.
Luckily for the Sharks, they wrapped up Couture to a bargain two-year, $5.75 million deal that begins next season, so they won’t have to worry about throwing Skinner-type cash his way for a while.
Couture’s reps might make note of the comparison when contract talks roll around again, though.
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year deal 2
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 54
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (54)