Aug 21, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz believes that Couture should (eventually) try to parallel Skinner’s earnings the next time he discusses a contract with the San Jose Sharks, then.
Logan Couture’s eyes must have lit up when he saw the deal that Skinner, who edged out Couture for the Calder Trophy as NHL Rookie of the Year after the 2010-11 season, inked with the Hurricanes. The left winger will earn slightly more than $34 million over the six-year term of the deal, which averages out to a salary cap hit of $5.725 a year beginning with the 2013-14 season.
… The numbers that Skinner and Couture have put up in their first two full NHL seasons are eerily similar. In 159 games, the 23-year-old Couture has 121 points, or .76 points per game.
Skinner, 20, has 107 points in 146 games in his first two seasons, for an average of .73 points per game.
Luckily for the Sharks, they wrapped up Couture to a bargain two-year, $5.75 million deal that begins next season, so they won’t have to worry about throwing Skinner-type cash his way for a while.
Couture’s reps might make note of the comparison when contract talks roll around again, though.
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 2
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 14
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 15
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9