Aug 21, 2012, 5:52 PM EST
Georges Laraque’s made quite a bit of news and held a wide array of jobs since leaving the NHL, but now he embarks on a new fight as the executive director of the CHL’s players association.
Today I'm proud to have been named the executive director of the new players association of the Canadian hockey league. #chlpa—
Georges Laraque (@GeorgesLaraque) August 21, 2012
Daniel Girard provides some context for the situation.
The 35-year-old native of Montreal, who was named deputy leader of the Green Party of Canada two years ago, is poised to become the face of a de facto union to protect the interests of more than 1,300 junior hockey players in the OHL, WHL and QMJHL.
A spokesperson for the association, which is yet to be certified, said earlier this week its priority is improving the educational packages available to junior hockey players, who get a $50-a-week stipend plus room and board.
Perhaps this means his NHL “comeback” is on hold?
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 2
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 14
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 46
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)