Aug 21, 2012, 5:52 PM EDT
Georges Laraque’s made quite a bit of news and held a wide array of jobs since leaving the NHL, but now he embarks on a new fight as the executive director of the CHL’s players association.
Today I'm proud to have been named the executive director of the new players association of the Canadian hockey league. #chlpa—
Georges Laraque (@GeorgesLaraque) August 21, 2012
Daniel Girard provides some context for the situation.
The 35-year-old native of Montreal, who was named deputy leader of the Green Party of Canada two years ago, is poised to become the face of a de facto union to protect the interests of more than 1,300 junior hockey players in the OHL, WHL and QMJHL.
A spokesperson for the association, which is yet to be certified, said earlier this week its priority is improving the educational packages available to junior hockey players, who get a $50-a-week stipend plus room and board.
Perhaps this means his NHL “comeback” is on hold?
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 9
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 26
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 35
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)