Aug 21, 2012, 7:14 PM EST
While NHL owners and players are gearing up to reengage CBA talks on Wednesday, details emerged from the NHLPA’s latest meeting.
Ben Kuzma tracks down NHLPA head Donald Fehr, who shared a belief that the owners aren’t interested in increasing revenue sharing.
“They [owners] have not indicated any substantial willingness to increase the revenue sharing,” Fehr said. “Hopefully that will be an arena where we will be able to find more common ground … I don’t think that those kinds of issues in the end are likely to get in the way. The gulf that separates us is triggered essentially by the owners’ position that the players have to make enormous concessions — far more than they did last time. And what they did last time was stunningly large.”
Fehr takes a step further earlier on in the article. Fehr argues that if owners want players to accept major alterations to arbitration and contract lengths, then they need to make the big concessions.
“What would it take to get players to move off those kind of things would be major concessions on the other side,” Fehr said.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (147)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)