Aug 21, 2012, 7:14 PM EST
While NHL owners and players are gearing up to reengage CBA talks on Wednesday, details emerged from the NHLPA’s latest meeting.
Ben Kuzma tracks down NHLPA head Donald Fehr, who shared a belief that the owners aren’t interested in increasing revenue sharing.
“They [owners] have not indicated any substantial willingness to increase the revenue sharing,” Fehr said. “Hopefully that will be an arena where we will be able to find more common ground … I don’t think that those kinds of issues in the end are likely to get in the way. The gulf that separates us is triggered essentially by the owners’ position that the players have to make enormous concessions — far more than they did last time. And what they did last time was stunningly large.”
Fehr takes a step further earlier on in the article. Fehr argues that if owners want players to accept major alterations to arbitration and contract lengths, then they need to make the big concessions.
“What would it take to get players to move off those kind of things would be major concessions on the other side,” Fehr said.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 27
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)