Aug 21, 2012, 7:14 PM EST
While NHL owners and players are gearing up to reengage CBA talks on Wednesday, details emerged from the NHLPA’s latest meeting.
Ben Kuzma tracks down NHLPA head Donald Fehr, who shared a belief that the owners aren’t interested in increasing revenue sharing.
“They [owners] have not indicated any substantial willingness to increase the revenue sharing,” Fehr said. “Hopefully that will be an arena where we will be able to find more common ground … I don’t think that those kinds of issues in the end are likely to get in the way. The gulf that separates us is triggered essentially by the owners’ position that the players have to make enormous concessions — far more than they did last time. And what they did last time was stunningly large.”
Fehr takes a step further earlier on in the article. Fehr argues that if owners want players to accept major alterations to arbitration and contract lengths, then they need to make the big concessions.
“What would it take to get players to move off those kind of things would be major concessions on the other side,” Fehr said.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)