Aug 20, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
In this hypothetical scenario, teams that handed out contracts that included huge signing bonuses, stashed expensive players in the minors or paid players significantly more in certain years would suffer the most.
Custance points to three teams who would be especially concerned if the owners got their way with a drastically altered salary cap: the Buffalo Sabres, Minnesota Wild and New York Rangers.
Buffalo: Would be $18.76 million above a proposed cap ceiling of $54M.
- Tyler Myers‘ $12 million salary would account for 22 percent of a tweaked salary cap next season, according to Custance.
Minnesota: Would be $16.37M above $54M.
- Custance points out that Zach Parise and Ryan Suter‘s mammoth first-years would be slightly alleviated by the fact that Mikko Koivu‘s own substantial contract is back-loaded instead of front-loaded.
Rangers: Would be $13.1M above $54M.
- Custance assumes that New York would need to buy out Chris Drury and Wade Redden.
- Like Myers, Custance points out that Brad Richards will make a Myers-like $12M.
Those are the three outlooks that Custance shared, but teams like the Nashville Predators and Philadelphia Flyers probably won’t be too thrilled about punishments for big signing bonuses, either.
It’s crucial to note that such a system is only (allegedly) being discussed and there are plenty of ways to ease “offending” teams into a given scenario.
Still, it looks like it will be tougher to exploit loopholes in future summers.
(Again, H/T to George Malik.)
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)