Aug 20, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
In this hypothetical scenario, teams that handed out contracts that included huge signing bonuses, stashed expensive players in the minors or paid players significantly more in certain years would suffer the most.
Custance points to three teams who would be especially concerned if the owners got their way with a drastically altered salary cap: the Buffalo Sabres, Minnesota Wild and New York Rangers.
Buffalo: Would be $18.76 million above a proposed cap ceiling of $54M.
- Tyler Myers‘ $12 million salary would account for 22 percent of a tweaked salary cap next season, according to Custance.
Minnesota: Would be $16.37M above $54M.
- Custance points out that Zach Parise and Ryan Suter‘s mammoth first-years would be slightly alleviated by the fact that Mikko Koivu‘s own substantial contract is back-loaded instead of front-loaded.
Rangers: Would be $13.1M above $54M.
- Custance assumes that New York would need to buy out Chris Drury and Wade Redden.
- Like Myers, Custance points out that Brad Richards will make a Myers-like $12M.
Those are the three outlooks that Custance shared, but teams like the Nashville Predators and Philadelphia Flyers probably won’t be too thrilled about punishments for big signing bonuses, either.
It’s crucial to note that such a system is only (allegedly) being discussed and there are plenty of ways to ease “offending” teams into a given scenario.
Still, it looks like it will be tougher to exploit loopholes in future summers.
(Again, H/T to George Malik.)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 22
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 12
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54