Aug 20, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
How does the son of a journeyman NBA player named Ronald “Popeye” Jones fall so hard for hockey that he’s in running to be the top pick of the 2013 NHL Draft?
CSNWashington.com’s Ben Raby caught up with Popeye regarding his son Seth Jones, learning that the Colorado Avalanche’s heyday was a big factor in him lacing up the skates.
“When we moved to Colorado when I was playing for the [Denver] Nuggets, the Avalanche was really big,” Jones said. “They had won the Stanley Cup in 1996, they had [Joe] Sakic, [Peter] Forsberg and Patrick Roy and so all the kids in the neighborhood really took to hockey and they were always playing roller hockey in the streets in our neighborhood.”
Popeye went as far as to seek the advice of Joe Sakic, who emphasized how important it was to become a strong skater.
Seth learned about “edges and angles” from a figure skating teacher and eventually embraced advice to become a defenseman. His father helped, too.
“I just kept telling him that defense wins championships,” Popeye said. “Maybe that was the professional in me, but I told him that if you can stop the other teams from scoring then you’re going to win games. After that, he really took to the position.”
The story points out that his son might tread some new athletic ground, though; Popeye was just a second-round pick, so he didn’t enter the NBA with the hype Seth will likely shoulder.
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 31
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 37
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 24
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening