Aug 20, 2012, 11:18 AM EDT
In case you missed it, University of Michigan student newspaper, the Michigan Daily, had their libel case with the OHL’s Kitchener Rangers concerning Winnipeg Jets first-round pick Jacob Trouba settled out of court.
The paper’s reasoning behind the story seeing the light of day, however, is curious.
On July 3, 2012, the Trouba family issued a statement through the University that denied both that the Rangers had made an offer, and that Trouba would not play for Michigan. Because of an editing error that went uncorrected until July 4, the Trouba family’s statement was not published in its entirety, and initially omitted the family’s denial that the Rangers had offered Trouba financial compensation. The Rangers subsequently also vigorously denied that they made such an offer to Trouba.
A student paper with an editing issue? That is highly believable. Let it be an important lesson to the student behind the story in the first place: Cover all the bases or else face the consequences.
If you’re on the more cynical side of things, it reads a solid way of covering one’s own butt to appease the wealthy team trying to slap you with a lawsuit.
While there was no apparent wrong-doing in how they approached Trouba, the Rangers will hope the CHL won’t look at things with them the way they did with the Windsor Spitfires.
For what it’s worth, Trouba will still be attending the University of Michigan this fall.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)