Aug 20, 2012, 11:18 AM EDT
In case you missed it, University of Michigan student newspaper, the Michigan Daily, had their libel case with the OHL’s Kitchener Rangers concerning Winnipeg Jets first-round pick Jacob Trouba settled out of court.
The paper’s reasoning behind the story seeing the light of day, however, is curious.
On July 3, 2012, the Trouba family issued a statement through the University that denied both that the Rangers had made an offer, and that Trouba would not play for Michigan. Because of an editing error that went uncorrected until July 4, the Trouba family’s statement was not published in its entirety, and initially omitted the family’s denial that the Rangers had offered Trouba financial compensation. The Rangers subsequently also vigorously denied that they made such an offer to Trouba.
A student paper with an editing issue? That is highly believable. Let it be an important lesson to the student behind the story in the first place: Cover all the bases or else face the consequences.
If you’re on the more cynical side of things, it reads a solid way of covering one’s own butt to appease the wealthy team trying to slap you with a lawsuit.
While there was no apparent wrong-doing in how they approached Trouba, the Rangers will hope the CHL won’t look at things with them the way they did with the Windsor Spitfires.
For what it’s worth, Trouba will still be attending the University of Michigan this fall.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 21
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 5
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)