Aug 20, 2012, 4:19 PM EDT
The Flyers are making sure to stay busy signing their own guys if they can’t sign everyone else’s.
The team announced they’ve locked up power forward Scott Hartnell to a six-year contract extension, keeping him in a Philly uniform through the 2018-19 season.
Anthony San Filippo of the Flyers’ website reports the deal is worth $5.5 million a year, good for a total of $33 million.
Update (4:48 p.m. ET:) Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com reports the deal is worth $4.75 million per year, good for a total of $28.75 million.
“I am very happy to be staying in Philly to continue my career playing in front of the best fans in the NHL,” said Hartnell. “I would like to thank Mr. Snider and the entire Flyers organization.”
At 30 years-old, Hartnell had a career-year scoring 37 goals and finishing with 67 points. The Flyers also signed Wayne Simmonds to a six-year deal this summer to keep him in town. Keep in mind, one of the NHL’s CBA proposals was to limit contracts to five years in length. Nothing like taking care of business before the rules change.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 1
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 11
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 17
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)