Aug 20, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
David Ashenfelter reports that a Detroit jury cleared Anaheim Ducks GM Bob Murray of paying monetary damages related to assault charges following an incident in which he allegedly “threw” a chair at Rachel Paris during the 2009 playoffs.
Paris claimed that it was “no accident,” but the jury felt differently according to Ashenfelter’s report.
Jurors told the Free Press they wanted to award damages to Paris because they thought she was injured in the incident. But they said they couldn’t do that without first concluding that Murray had intentionally assaulted Paris. They said many of the jurors felt her injuries were the result of an accident, not an assault.
Paris’ current lawyers said that the case was handled poorly by her original lawyer.
They said he failed to include a negligence count in the lawsuit, which would have enabled the jury to award damages to Paris even if they disagreed about whether Murray assaulted her.
After the trial, Paris said that the injuries she suffered “wiped out” her life.
Paris said in court papers that her boss, fearful of losing his contract at the arena, fired her when she decided to pursue the case against Murray. She said she has been unable to find work since the incident. She didn’t have health insurance.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 20
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 16
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)