Aug 20, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
David Ashenfelter reports that a Detroit jury cleared Anaheim Ducks GM Bob Murray of paying monetary damages related to assault charges following an incident in which he allegedly “threw” a chair at Rachel Paris during the 2009 playoffs.
Paris claimed that it was “no accident,” but the jury felt differently according to Ashenfelter’s report.
Jurors told the Free Press they wanted to award damages to Paris because they thought she was injured in the incident. But they said they couldn’t do that without first concluding that Murray had intentionally assaulted Paris. They said many of the jurors felt her injuries were the result of an accident, not an assault.
Paris’ current lawyers said that the case was handled poorly by her original lawyer.
They said he failed to include a negligence count in the lawsuit, which would have enabled the jury to award damages to Paris even if they disagreed about whether Murray assaulted her.
After the trial, Paris said that the injuries she suffered “wiped out” her life.
Paris said in court papers that her boss, fearful of losing his contract at the arena, fired her when she decided to pursue the case against Murray. She said she has been unable to find work since the incident. She didn’t have health insurance.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)