Aug 20, 2012, 1:52 PM EDT
Blues forward Chris Stewart showed during his time in Colorado he’s capable of being a solid goal scorer. Back in 2009-10 he potted 28 goals.
Since being traded to St. Louis during the 2010-11 season, however, things have been a bit tougher for Stewart to find the back of the net. In his 95 games as a Blue he has 30 goals and he tells Dave Lozo of NHL.com he feels he’s capable of being the goal scoring threat St. Louis needs.
“You can’t really read into the hype or the hoopla. Everyone’s entitled to write what they want. I do see myself as a goal-scorer in this League. That’s something I can do. I think this year was a learning experience and a good year learning how to be a pro and what you’ve got to do to be successful in this League and look toward next year.”
Blues coach Ken Hitchcock blamed Stewart’s struggles last season on being out of shape. Provided Stewart gets to the level of fitness the coach wants and pushes his game, he can be one of the offensive answers for the Blues.
Talk is cheap though and if the results don’t come, he might wind up re-living last season’s struggles from the bench.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 2
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 11
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)