Aug 20, 2012, 1:52 PM EDT
Blues forward Chris Stewart showed during his time in Colorado he’s capable of being a solid goal scorer. Back in 2009-10 he potted 28 goals.
Since being traded to St. Louis during the 2010-11 season, however, things have been a bit tougher for Stewart to find the back of the net. In his 95 games as a Blue he has 30 goals and he tells Dave Lozo of NHL.com he feels he’s capable of being the goal scoring threat St. Louis needs.
“You can’t really read into the hype or the hoopla. Everyone’s entitled to write what they want. I do see myself as a goal-scorer in this League. That’s something I can do. I think this year was a learning experience and a good year learning how to be a pro and what you’ve got to do to be successful in this League and look toward next year.”
Blues coach Ken Hitchcock blamed Stewart’s struggles last season on being out of shape. Provided Stewart gets to the level of fitness the coach wants and pushes his game, he can be one of the offensive answers for the Blues.
Talk is cheap though and if the results don’t come, he might wind up re-living last season’s struggles from the bench.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)