Aug 20, 2012, 1:52 PM EST
Blues forward Chris Stewart showed during his time in Colorado he’s capable of being a solid goal scorer. Back in 2009-10 he potted 28 goals.
Since being traded to St. Louis during the 2010-11 season, however, things have been a bit tougher for Stewart to find the back of the net. In his 95 games as a Blue he has 30 goals and he tells Dave Lozo of NHL.com he feels he’s capable of being the goal scoring threat St. Louis needs.
“You can’t really read into the hype or the hoopla. Everyone’s entitled to write what they want. I do see myself as a goal-scorer in this League. That’s something I can do. I think this year was a learning experience and a good year learning how to be a pro and what you’ve got to do to be successful in this League and look toward next year.”
Blues coach Ken Hitchcock blamed Stewart’s struggles last season on being out of shape. Provided Stewart gets to the level of fitness the coach wants and pushes his game, he can be one of the offensive answers for the Blues.
Talk is cheap though and if the results don’t come, he might wind up re-living last season’s struggles from the bench.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)