Aug 19, 2012, 4:49 PM EDT
New Oilers bench boss Ralph Krueger is definitely an optimist.
Edmonton has been one of the worst teams in the NHL the last three seasons, but the new head coach believes the team can overcome all the poor play from the past by just being themselves. Brian Hunter from NHL.com shares the positive talk out of Alberta.
“Our natural ability will lead us to winning. The winning is a byproduct, not a focus. The focus will be excellence; it will be our execution, our practices. You won’t come to a practice where you see us, in any way shape or form, compromising our quality. Every practice, on or off the ice, will be at the highest possible level and winning will naturally be a byproduct of the time we put it in.”
Krueger was an assistant last year under Tom Renney so he’s got a first hand look at a lot of the talent he’s got to work with already. From Taylor Hall to Jordan Eberle to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins that’s a nice way to start things off. By adding free agent Justin Schultz and first-round pick Nail Yakupov this summer, there’s even more star potential, and natural ability, to work with.
The natural ability is there, but growing pains might get in the way of success.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)