Aug 19, 2012, 10:05 PM EDT
Allowing fans to feel like they’re in control of their favorite teams is a big goal of sports video games, but more and more, modes are being added to re-live (or even “alter”) events.
A year after adding legends such as Wayne Gretzky to its games, EA Sports hopes to reproduce actual moments from last season and NHL history in NHL 13’s “Moments Live” mode.
Overall, there will be 26 moments from the 2011-12 season represented in the game, along with certain historical milestones. The company also plans on including moments from next season (if games actually take place).
They pointed out four moments from 2011-12 and one famous achievement from Gretzky’s career:
- Players need to score with Kris Letang in overtime against the Montreal Canadiens after he took that Max Pacioretty hit.
- The game asks players to “change history” by scoring three more points with Sam Gagner to improve his eight-point night to a record-breaking 11-point one.
- Beat the Boston Bruins in OT in Game 1 of the East semifinals as Braden Holtby. (Washington lost that game.)
- Win the Winnipeg Jets’ first home regular season game, as opposed to what really happened. (The Habs spoiled the fun.)
- Score two goals to give Gretzky 50 goals in 39 games.
That’s just the sample provided, though.
What other moments are you hoping to enjoy (or alter) from last season?
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 15
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 88
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 12
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 34
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (88)