Aug 19, 2012, 10:05 PM EDT
Allowing fans to feel like they’re in control of their favorite teams is a big goal of sports video games, but more and more, modes are being added to re-live (or even “alter”) events.
A year after adding legends such as Wayne Gretzky to its games, EA Sports hopes to reproduce actual moments from last season and NHL history in NHL 13’s “Moments Live” mode.
Overall, there will be 26 moments from the 2011-12 season represented in the game, along with certain historical milestones. The company also plans on including moments from next season (if games actually take place).
They pointed out four moments from 2011-12 and one famous achievement from Gretzky’s career:
- Players need to score with Kris Letang in overtime against the Montreal Canadiens after he took that Max Pacioretty hit.
- The game asks players to “change history” by scoring three more points with Sam Gagner to improve his eight-point night to a record-breaking 11-point one.
- Beat the Boston Bruins in OT in Game 1 of the East semifinals as Braden Holtby. (Washington lost that game.)
- Win the Winnipeg Jets’ first home regular season game, as opposed to what really happened. (The Habs spoiled the fun.)
- Score two goals to give Gretzky 50 goals in 39 games.
That’s just the sample provided, though.
What other moments are you hoping to enjoy (or alter) from last season?
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5