Aug 19, 2012, 10:05 PM EDT
Allowing fans to feel like they’re in control of their favorite teams is a big goal of sports video games, but more and more, modes are being added to re-live (or even “alter”) events.
A year after adding legends such as Wayne Gretzky to its games, EA Sports hopes to reproduce actual moments from last season and NHL history in NHL 13’s “Moments Live” mode.
Overall, there will be 26 moments from the 2011-12 season represented in the game, along with certain historical milestones. The company also plans on including moments from next season (if games actually take place).
They pointed out four moments from 2011-12 and one famous achievement from Gretzky’s career:
- Players need to score with Kris Letang in overtime against the Montreal Canadiens after he took that Max Pacioretty hit.
- The game asks players to “change history” by scoring three more points with Sam Gagner to improve his eight-point night to a record-breaking 11-point one.
- Beat the Boston Bruins in OT in Game 1 of the East semifinals as Braden Holtby. (Washington lost that game.)
- Win the Winnipeg Jets’ first home regular season game, as opposed to what really happened. (The Habs spoiled the fun.)
- Score two goals to give Gretzky 50 goals in 39 games.
That’s just the sample provided, though.
What other moments are you hoping to enjoy (or alter) from last season?
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)