Aug 19, 2012, 3:22 PM EDT
Calgary Flames prospect Johnny Gaudreau (2011 fourth-round pick) has made a name for himself already in college hockey. Being a major part of Boston College’s national championship winning team last season in just his freshman year has put him on the map.
At 5’6″ 140 pounds, he might be mistaken for someone a lot younger, but he brings back memories of previous diminutive BC standouts Brian Gionta and Nathan Gerbe. Gaudreau hopes he can be a fraction of the player they are.
“The history of BC hockey players with some of the small guys… I just want to be like them and play like them and have a career like they have. You’ve got to have some influences out there and they’re definitely some of mine.”
Last season, Gaudreau had 21 goals and 23 assists in just his first season at BC. If he keeps building on numbers like that, he’ll have people thinking he’s the heir to Chris Kreider‘s throne. Gaudreau says he learned a lot from the New York Rangers’ playoff star. Rooting for Kreider and the Rangers while in Boston proved to be a bit tricky.
“Yeah, it was a little awkward,” Gaudreau confesses. “I’m more of a Flyers and Calgary kind of fan since they drafted me. Unfortunately they didn’t make it, but I was cheering for Kreider and happy he did so well.”
If things break right for him and the Flames, maybe he can make his own splash in the NHL.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)