Aug 19, 2012, 3:22 PM EDT
Calgary Flames prospect Johnny Gaudreau (2011 fourth-round pick) has made a name for himself already in college hockey. Being a major part of Boston College’s national championship winning team last season in just his freshman year has put him on the map.
At 5’6″ 140 pounds, he might be mistaken for someone a lot younger, but he brings back memories of previous diminutive BC standouts Brian Gionta and Nathan Gerbe. Gaudreau hopes he can be a fraction of the player they are.
“The history of BC hockey players with some of the small guys… I just want to be like them and play like them and have a career like they have. You’ve got to have some influences out there and they’re definitely some of mine.”
Last season, Gaudreau had 21 goals and 23 assists in just his first season at BC. If he keeps building on numbers like that, he’ll have people thinking he’s the heir to Chris Kreider‘s throne. Gaudreau says he learned a lot from the New York Rangers’ playoff star. Rooting for Kreider and the Rangers while in Boston proved to be a bit tricky.
“Yeah, it was a little awkward,” Gaudreau confesses. “I’m more of a Flyers and Calgary kind of fan since they drafted me. Unfortunately they didn’t make it, but I was cheering for Kreider and happy he did so well.”
If things break right for him and the Flames, maybe he can make his own splash in the NHL.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)