Aug 19, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
As if Columbus Blue Jackets fans haven’t had a hard enough summer, they’ve now got to root really hard that a lockout doesn’t dig too far into the season.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch reports that if a lockout does occur and goes too far into the regular season, the first big event to be cut out will be the NHL All-Star Game. Portzline says if the lockout even goes a month into the season, the event could be wiped out.
While that might cause concern for the Winter Classic as well, keep this in mind: You need games to be played to pick out all-stars, team rosters are already in place for the Red Wings and Maple Leafs. That’s why the NHL has up until the day of the Winter Classic, January 1, to cancel the event.
Back during the season that never happened in 2004-05, the All-Star Game was set to take place in Atlanta, but when the lockout got into November, the NHL called it off. Atlanta later got an All-Star Game in 2008 to make up for the one burned by the work stoppage.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)