Aug 19, 2012, 7:20 PM EST
Apparently Richard Bachman is keenly aware that Stephen King once used his name as a pseudonym.
Bachman decided to play up that connection with his new goalie mask, commissioning Dave Gunnarsson to create this fantastic “The Shining”-inspired piece:
Here’s an excerpt from Gunnarsson’s discussion of the concept.
To make it even more scary we decided to use only one color all over the mask, and it is all painted in a scary mix of calm paint and an uncomfortable feeling all over the mask. It is all created with old school airbrush paint mixed with oil paint tech.
The left side has just an evil sinister feeling, and if you look close into the star you find the same carpet as in the hotel! On the right side we present the rage.
Perhaps the Stars’ video staff might want to play up the connection, too? Here’s a few suggestions if they do:
- If Bachman has a rough night, roll the clip of elevators overflowing with blood.
- Whenever the Stars hope to make a valiant comeback, they can show Jack Nicholson chasing peoplein an icy maze.
- Some might suggest the use of the creepy girl twins, although that could go in an unsavory Dave Bolland direction.
All kidding aside, it’s a fantastic mask that capitalizes on a fun pop culture connection.
(Too bad Hal Gill isn’t a goalie.)
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 13
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 30
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 33
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)