Aug 19, 2012, 7:20 PM EST
Apparently Richard Bachman is keenly aware that Stephen King once used his name as a pseudonym.
Bachman decided to play up that connection with his new goalie mask, commissioning Dave Gunnarsson to create this fantastic “The Shining”-inspired piece:
Here’s an excerpt from Gunnarsson’s discussion of the concept.
To make it even more scary we decided to use only one color all over the mask, and it is all painted in a scary mix of calm paint and an uncomfortable feeling all over the mask. It is all created with old school airbrush paint mixed with oil paint tech.
The left side has just an evil sinister feeling, and if you look close into the star you find the same carpet as in the hotel! On the right side we present the rage.
Perhaps the Stars’ video staff might want to play up the connection, too? Here’s a few suggestions if they do:
- If Bachman has a rough night, roll the clip of elevators overflowing with blood.
- Whenever the Stars hope to make a valiant comeback, they can show Jack Nicholson chasing peoplein an icy maze.
- Some might suggest the use of the creepy girl twins, although that could go in an unsavory Dave Bolland direction.
All kidding aside, it’s a fantastic mask that capitalizes on a fun pop culture connection.
(Too bad Hal Gill isn’t a goalie.)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 77
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 6
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 58
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (78)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (58)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)