Aug 19, 2012, 7:20 PM EST
Apparently Richard Bachman is keenly aware that Stephen King once used his name as a pseudonym.
Bachman decided to play up that connection with his new goalie mask, commissioning Dave Gunnarsson to create this fantastic “The Shining”-inspired piece:
Here’s an excerpt from Gunnarsson’s discussion of the concept.
To make it even more scary we decided to use only one color all over the mask, and it is all painted in a scary mix of calm paint and an uncomfortable feeling all over the mask. It is all created with old school airbrush paint mixed with oil paint tech.
The left side has just an evil sinister feeling, and if you look close into the star you find the same carpet as in the hotel! On the right side we present the rage.
Perhaps the Stars’ video staff might want to play up the connection, too? Here’s a few suggestions if they do:
- If Bachman has a rough night, roll the clip of elevators overflowing with blood.
- Whenever the Stars hope to make a valiant comeback, they can show Jack Nicholson chasing peoplein an icy maze.
- Some might suggest the use of the creepy girl twins, although that could go in an unsavory Dave Bolland direction.
All kidding aside, it’s a fantastic mask that capitalizes on a fun pop culture connection.
(Too bad Hal Gill isn’t a goalie.)
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11