Aug 19, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
Apparently Richard Bachman is keenly aware that Stephen King once used his name as a pseudonym.
Bachman decided to play up that connection with his new goalie mask, commissioning Dave Gunnarsson to create this fantastic “The Shining”-inspired piece:
Here’s an excerpt from Gunnarsson’s discussion of the concept.
To make it even more scary we decided to use only one color all over the mask, and it is all painted in a scary mix of calm paint and an uncomfortable feeling all over the mask. It is all created with old school airbrush paint mixed with oil paint tech.
The left side has just an evil sinister feeling, and if you look close into the star you find the same carpet as in the hotel! On the right side we present the rage.
Perhaps the Stars’ video staff might want to play up the connection, too? Here’s a few suggestions if they do:
- If Bachman has a rough night, roll the clip of elevators overflowing with blood.
- Whenever the Stars hope to make a valiant comeback, they can show Jack Nicholson chasing peoplein an icy maze.
- Some might suggest the use of the creepy girl twins, although that could go in an unsavory Dave Bolland direction.
All kidding aside, it’s a fantastic mask that capitalizes on a fun pop culture connection.
(Too bad Hal Gill isn’t a goalie.)
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 14
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 29
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 26
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 25
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 20
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 58
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6