Aug 19, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
Apparently Richard Bachman is keenly aware that Stephen King once used his name as a pseudonym.
Bachman decided to play up that connection with his new goalie mask, commissioning Dave Gunnarsson to create this fantastic “The Shining”-inspired piece:
Here’s an excerpt from Gunnarsson’s discussion of the concept.
To make it even more scary we decided to use only one color all over the mask, and it is all painted in a scary mix of calm paint and an uncomfortable feeling all over the mask. It is all created with old school airbrush paint mixed with oil paint tech.
The left side has just an evil sinister feeling, and if you look close into the star you find the same carpet as in the hotel! On the right side we present the rage.
Perhaps the Stars’ video staff might want to play up the connection, too? Here’s a few suggestions if they do:
- If Bachman has a rough night, roll the clip of elevators overflowing with blood.
- Whenever the Stars hope to make a valiant comeback, they can show Jack Nicholson chasing peoplein an icy maze.
- Some might suggest the use of the creepy girl twins, although that could go in an unsavory Dave Bolland direction.
All kidding aside, it’s a fantastic mask that capitalizes on a fun pop culture connection.
(Too bad Hal Gill isn’t a goalie.)
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)