Aug 18, 2012, 2:03 PM EST
When Olli Jokinen signed a new deal this summer with the Winnipeg Jets it was seen as a sneaky, savvy move by the team. After all, they had a glaring need for a play maker and Jokinen picked his game up the last couple of seasons in Calgary.
What we didn’t know was how big of a fan Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff was of Jokinen. As NHL.com’s John Kreiser finds out, he has the a very high outlook for the 33 year-old veteran.
“We’re excited about the opportunity to bring a front-line player, a top-six player into the organization,” Cheveldayoff said. “His size comes to the forefront right now; he’s difficult to handle. When he gets moving, he does move very well. He likes to shoot the puck and he’s not afraid to do that.”
Jokinen had 23 goals and 61 points on a line with Jarome Iginla last season. Good work if you can get it. In Winnipeg, you can bet they’ll want him lining up with Evander Kane, provided they can get him re-signed sometime in the near future.
Making the team stronger up the middle, however, was the key for the Jets. With Bryan Little, Alexander Burmistrov, and Nik Antropov they were lacking a true set-up man. That won’t be an issue provided the player we saw the last two seasons shows up and not the guy we saw with the Rangers.
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 84
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 7
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (84)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)