Aug 18, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
When Olli Jokinen signed a new deal this summer with the Winnipeg Jets it was seen as a sneaky, savvy move by the team. After all, they had a glaring need for a play maker and Jokinen picked his game up the last couple of seasons in Calgary.
What we didn’t know was how big of a fan Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff was of Jokinen. As NHL.com’s John Kreiser finds out, he has the a very high outlook for the 33 year-old veteran.
“We’re excited about the opportunity to bring a front-line player, a top-six player into the organization,” Cheveldayoff said. “His size comes to the forefront right now; he’s difficult to handle. When he gets moving, he does move very well. He likes to shoot the puck and he’s not afraid to do that.”
Jokinen had 23 goals and 61 points on a line with Jarome Iginla last season. Good work if you can get it. In Winnipeg, you can bet they’ll want him lining up with Evander Kane, provided they can get him re-signed sometime in the near future.
Making the team stronger up the middle, however, was the key for the Jets. With Bryan Little, Alexander Burmistrov, and Nik Antropov they were lacking a true set-up man. That won’t be an issue provided the player we saw the last two seasons shows up and not the guy we saw with the Rangers.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)