Aug 18, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
When Olli Jokinen signed a new deal this summer with the Winnipeg Jets it was seen as a sneaky, savvy move by the team. After all, they had a glaring need for a play maker and Jokinen picked his game up the last couple of seasons in Calgary.
What we didn’t know was how big of a fan Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff was of Jokinen. As NHL.com’s John Kreiser finds out, he has the a very high outlook for the 33 year-old veteran.
“We’re excited about the opportunity to bring a front-line player, a top-six player into the organization,” Cheveldayoff said. “His size comes to the forefront right now; he’s difficult to handle. When he gets moving, he does move very well. He likes to shoot the puck and he’s not afraid to do that.”
Jokinen had 23 goals and 61 points on a line with Jarome Iginla last season. Good work if you can get it. In Winnipeg, you can bet they’ll want him lining up with Evander Kane, provided they can get him re-signed sometime in the near future.
Making the team stronger up the middle, however, was the key for the Jets. With Bryan Little, Alexander Burmistrov, and Nik Antropov they were lacking a true set-up man. That won’t be an issue provided the player we saw the last two seasons shows up and not the guy we saw with the Rangers.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 45
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)