Aug 18, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
When Olli Jokinen signed a new deal this summer with the Winnipeg Jets it was seen as a sneaky, savvy move by the team. After all, they had a glaring need for a play maker and Jokinen picked his game up the last couple of seasons in Calgary.
What we didn’t know was how big of a fan Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff was of Jokinen. As NHL.com’s John Kreiser finds out, he has the a very high outlook for the 33 year-old veteran.
“We’re excited about the opportunity to bring a front-line player, a top-six player into the organization,” Cheveldayoff said. “His size comes to the forefront right now; he’s difficult to handle. When he gets moving, he does move very well. He likes to shoot the puck and he’s not afraid to do that.”
Jokinen had 23 goals and 61 points on a line with Jarome Iginla last season. Good work if you can get it. In Winnipeg, you can bet they’ll want him lining up with Evander Kane, provided they can get him re-signed sometime in the near future.
Making the team stronger up the middle, however, was the key for the Jets. With Bryan Little, Alexander Burmistrov, and Nik Antropov they were lacking a true set-up man. That won’t be an issue provided the player we saw the last two seasons shows up and not the guy we saw with the Rangers.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)