Aug 18, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
One of the players involved directly in labor talks is Ducks forward Daniel Winnik. He recently spoke on NiteCap with Josh Rimer on nextsportstar.com about how things are going and he and the other players are upbeat about getting a deal done without a lockout.
“I think there’s a lot more that happens behind closed doors that a lot of the players don’t see who aren’t involved in the negotiations,” Winnik said.
“From the guys that I’ve talked with, there isn’t any panic. Everyone’s unified. They understand it’s a process and there’s still a good amount of time here to get a deal done.”
While the players may be positive, fans aren’t nearly as pleased with how things are going and Winnik says he has an idea where the negativity comes from: NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman.
“I think people understood our deal and seeing what we’re trying to do in order to grow the game and willing to work with the bigger markets to help the smaller teams out. The pessimism comes from Gary’s comments [Wednesday]. I think that’s where the discouragement of people might’ve come.”
You might argue the players’ are trying to keep things positive while the owners are dealing in negativity, but the only thing for sure right now is the players are winning the PR battle. That much won’t matter if the league locks out the players on September 15.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 35
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)