Aug 18, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
One of the players involved directly in labor talks is Ducks forward Daniel Winnik. He recently spoke on NiteCap with Josh Rimer on nextsportstar.com about how things are going and he and the other players are upbeat about getting a deal done without a lockout.
“I think there’s a lot more that happens behind closed doors that a lot of the players don’t see who aren’t involved in the negotiations,” Winnik said.
“From the guys that I’ve talked with, there isn’t any panic. Everyone’s unified. They understand it’s a process and there’s still a good amount of time here to get a deal done.”
While the players may be positive, fans aren’t nearly as pleased with how things are going and Winnik says he has an idea where the negativity comes from: NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman.
“I think people understood our deal and seeing what we’re trying to do in order to grow the game and willing to work with the bigger markets to help the smaller teams out. The pessimism comes from Gary’s comments [Wednesday]. I think that’s where the discouragement of people might’ve come.”
You might argue the players’ are trying to keep things positive while the owners are dealing in negativity, but the only thing for sure right now is the players are winning the PR battle. That much won’t matter if the league locks out the players on September 15.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 11
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 58
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22