Aug 18, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
One of the players involved directly in labor talks is Ducks forward Daniel Winnik. He recently spoke on NiteCap with Josh Rimer on nextsportstar.com about how things are going and he and the other players are upbeat about getting a deal done without a lockout.
“I think there’s a lot more that happens behind closed doors that a lot of the players don’t see who aren’t involved in the negotiations,” Winnik said.
“From the guys that I’ve talked with, there isn’t any panic. Everyone’s unified. They understand it’s a process and there’s still a good amount of time here to get a deal done.”
While the players may be positive, fans aren’t nearly as pleased with how things are going and Winnik says he has an idea where the negativity comes from: NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman.
“I think people understood our deal and seeing what we’re trying to do in order to grow the game and willing to work with the bigger markets to help the smaller teams out. The pessimism comes from Gary’s comments [Wednesday]. I think that’s where the discouragement of people might’ve come.”
You might argue the players’ are trying to keep things positive while the owners are dealing in negativity, but the only thing for sure right now is the players are winning the PR battle. That much won’t matter if the league locks out the players on September 15.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 13
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 15
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)