Aug 18, 2012, 7:08 PM EDT
Canada won the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament for the fifth year in a row, but to many, it was all about Nathan MacKinnon.
The odds-on top pick of the 2013 NHL Draft* scored a hat trick in the game, adding another bullet to an increasingly promising resume.
MacKinnon scored 31 goals and 78 points in 58 regular season games and 28 points in 17 postseason contests for the Halifax Mooseheads in the QMJHL last season.
* – Many indicate that it might come down to MacKinnon or Seth Jones, son of former NBA player “Popeye” Jones.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)