Aug 18, 2012, 3:01 PM EST
Former Capitals coach Dale Hunter spoke his mind recently discussing his departure from Washington to return to work with his junior hockey team in London, Ontario.
As he tells Morris Dalla Costa of the London Free Press, while he’ll miss coaching at the pro level he won’t miss the daily rigors of being an NHL bench boss, namely in dealing with the media.
“Every day it’s a scrum. You have to answer every question. Basically I don’t feel like I have to go to media and criticize players if they are not playing up to snuff. I do it one-on-one. Some coaches use it as a tool. Personally, when I was playing I preferred if a coach said to me ‘you’re playing like crap. You aren’t going to play as much unless you get better.’
“I put a top-line guy on the fourth line, then I had to answer all the questions. I use it as a motivator for some guys and then it’s all blown out of proportion. But (the media) was alright.”
Hunter did say he’ll miss the pressure that comes with coaching an NHL team. He also again explained his reasons for keeping Alex Ovechkin‘s minutes down as well saying,”he’s not a defensive guy.”
How the Capitals do with Adam Oates in charge this season will make for a fascinating story as it seemed most of Washington warmed up to Hunter after his team’s surprising playoff run.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 0
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 24
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)