Aug 17, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
It doesn’t appear labor uncertainty will keep the Canucks from doing their business.
Shortly after learning talks were underway with winger Alex Burrows on an extension, Brad Ziemer of the Vancouver Sun reports the club will soon begin negotiations on a new deal with defenseman Alex Edler.
“It is safe to assume we will be commencing discussions with Alex’s representative [agent Mark Stowe] in a short period of time,” Canucks assistant GM Gilman told Ziemer.
Edler’s heading into the final year of a four-year, $13 million deal that pays $3.25 million annually — the fifth-highest cap hit among Vancouver defensemen behind Kevin Bieksa and Jason Garrison ($4.6 million each), Dan Hamhuis ($4.5 million) and Keith Ballard ($4.2 million).
Given that Edler led all Canucks defensemen with a career-high 11 goals and 49 points last season, that pay scale could soon change.
The 26-year-old Swede is the youngest of the aforementioned five blueliners and finished tied for 13th in Norris voting this year with Chicago’s Duncan Keith, Phoenix’s Keith Yandle and Winnipeg’s Dustin Byfuglien.
It’s possible Edler could be eying the five-year, $28.75 million deal fellow Swedish defenseman Tobias Enstrom (27 years old) inked with the Jets a couple of weeks ago.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)