Aug 17, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
It doesn’t appear labor uncertainty will keep the Canucks from doing their business.
Shortly after learning talks were underway with winger Alex Burrows on an extension, Brad Ziemer of the Vancouver Sun reports the club will soon begin negotiations on a new deal with defenseman Alex Edler.
“It is safe to assume we will be commencing discussions with Alex’s representative [agent Mark Stowe] in a short period of time,” Canucks assistant GM Gilman told Ziemer.
Edler’s heading into the final year of a four-year, $13 million deal that pays $3.25 million annually — the fifth-highest cap hit among Vancouver defensemen behind Kevin Bieksa and Jason Garrison ($4.6 million each), Dan Hamhuis ($4.5 million) and Keith Ballard ($4.2 million).
Given that Edler led all Canucks defensemen with a career-high 11 goals and 49 points last season, that pay scale could soon change.
The 26-year-old Swede is the youngest of the aforementioned five blueliners and finished tied for 13th in Norris voting this year with Chicago’s Duncan Keith, Phoenix’s Keith Yandle and Winnipeg’s Dustin Byfuglien.
It’s possible Edler could be eying the five-year, $28.75 million deal fellow Swedish defenseman Tobias Enstrom (27 years old) inked with the Jets a couple of weeks ago.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)