Aug 17, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
It doesn’t appear labor uncertainty will keep the Canucks from doing their business.
Shortly after learning talks were underway with winger Alex Burrows on an extension, Brad Ziemer of the Vancouver Sun reports the club will soon begin negotiations on a new deal with defenseman Alex Edler.
“It is safe to assume we will be commencing discussions with Alex’s representative [agent Mark Stowe] in a short period of time,” Canucks assistant GM Gilman told Ziemer.
Edler’s heading into the final year of a four-year, $13 million deal that pays $3.25 million annually — the fifth-highest cap hit among Vancouver defensemen behind Kevin Bieksa and Jason Garrison ($4.6 million each), Dan Hamhuis ($4.5 million) and Keith Ballard ($4.2 million).
Given that Edler led all Canucks defensemen with a career-high 11 goals and 49 points last season, that pay scale could soon change.
The 26-year-old Swede is the youngest of the aforementioned five blueliners and finished tied for 13th in Norris voting this year with Chicago’s Duncan Keith, Phoenix’s Keith Yandle and Winnipeg’s Dustin Byfuglien.
It’s possible Edler could be eying the five-year, $28.75 million deal fellow Swedish defenseman Tobias Enstrom (27 years old) inked with the Jets a couple of weeks ago.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)