Aug 16, 2012, 6:30 PM EST
The Nail Yakupov era is officially underway in Edmonton.
After scoring four points in four games for Team Russia during the Canada-Russia challenge, the first overall selection at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft flew to Alberta and began setting up in advance of the 2012-13 season.
More, from Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal:
Last month, he signed his three-year entry level contract and said then that his mom and sister would relocate from Russia, as they did when he played in Sarnia, Ont.
Finding a place to live in Edmonton is now on the agenda, as is a jump into a training regime with the players already in town.
“It’s time to start work,” he said. “I’ll start working out with the guys, get my place.”
Assuming Yakupov makes the big club — which seems a foregone conclusion, given new head coach Ralph Kruger’s already talked about using him on the power play — he’ll be the third consecutive No. 1 overall pick to jump right into the Oilers lineup.
Taylor Hall, the top pick in 2010, scored 22G-20A-42PTS in 65 games as a rookie before a high ankle sprain ended his season.
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the top pick in 2011, scored 18G-34A-52PTS in 62 games as a rookie while dealing with a series of shoulder issues.
So…you can guess what the concern will be for Yakupov in his first pro campaign.
Not that he’s focused on the possibility of injury.
“I can’t wait for the start of camp,” he said, “so I can play games with the Edmonton Oilers.”
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 1
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 56
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)