Aug 16, 2012, 6:30 PM EDT
The Nail Yakupov era is officially underway in Edmonton.
After scoring four points in four games for Team Russia during the Canada-Russia challenge, the first overall selection at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft flew to Alberta and began setting up in advance of the 2012-13 season.
More, from Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal:
Last month, he signed his three-year entry level contract and said then that his mom and sister would relocate from Russia, as they did when he played in Sarnia, Ont.
Finding a place to live in Edmonton is now on the agenda, as is a jump into a training regime with the players already in town.
“It’s time to start work,” he said. “I’ll start working out with the guys, get my place.”
Assuming Yakupov makes the big club — which seems a foregone conclusion, given new head coach Ralph Kruger’s already talked about using him on the power play — he’ll be the third consecutive No. 1 overall pick to jump right into the Oilers lineup.
Taylor Hall, the top pick in 2010, scored 22G-20A-42PTS in 65 games as a rookie before a high ankle sprain ended his season.
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the top pick in 2011, scored 18G-34A-52PTS in 62 games as a rookie while dealing with a series of shoulder issues.
So…you can guess what the concern will be for Yakupov in his first pro campaign.
Not that he’s focused on the possibility of injury.
“I can’t wait for the start of camp,” he said, “so I can play games with the Edmonton Oilers.”
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 0
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 6
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 31
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)