Aug 16, 2012, 6:30 PM EDT
The Nail Yakupov era is officially underway in Edmonton.
After scoring four points in four games for Team Russia during the Canada-Russia challenge, the first overall selection at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft flew to Alberta and began setting up in advance of the 2012-13 season.
More, from Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal:
Last month, he signed his three-year entry level contract and said then that his mom and sister would relocate from Russia, as they did when he played in Sarnia, Ont.
Finding a place to live in Edmonton is now on the agenda, as is a jump into a training regime with the players already in town.
“It’s time to start work,” he said. “I’ll start working out with the guys, get my place.”
Assuming Yakupov makes the big club — which seems a foregone conclusion, given new head coach Ralph Kruger’s already talked about using him on the power play — he’ll be the third consecutive No. 1 overall pick to jump right into the Oilers lineup.
Taylor Hall, the top pick in 2010, scored 22G-20A-42PTS in 65 games as a rookie before a high ankle sprain ended his season.
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the top pick in 2011, scored 18G-34A-52PTS in 62 games as a rookie while dealing with a series of shoulder issues.
So…you can guess what the concern will be for Yakupov in his first pro campaign.
Not that he’s focused on the possibility of injury.
“I can’t wait for the start of camp,” he said, “so I can play games with the Edmonton Oilers.”
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 25
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)