Aug 16, 2012, 6:30 PM EST
The Nail Yakupov era is officially underway in Edmonton.
After scoring four points in four games for Team Russia during the Canada-Russia challenge, the first overall selection at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft flew to Alberta and began setting up in advance of the 2012-13 season.
More, from Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal:
Last month, he signed his three-year entry level contract and said then that his mom and sister would relocate from Russia, as they did when he played in Sarnia, Ont.
Finding a place to live in Edmonton is now on the agenda, as is a jump into a training regime with the players already in town.
“It’s time to start work,” he said. “I’ll start working out with the guys, get my place.”
Assuming Yakupov makes the big club — which seems a foregone conclusion, given new head coach Ralph Kruger’s already talked about using him on the power play — he’ll be the third consecutive No. 1 overall pick to jump right into the Oilers lineup.
Taylor Hall, the top pick in 2010, scored 22G-20A-42PTS in 65 games as a rookie before a high ankle sprain ended his season.
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the top pick in 2011, scored 18G-34A-52PTS in 62 games as a rookie while dealing with a series of shoulder issues.
So…you can guess what the concern will be for Yakupov in his first pro campaign.
Not that he’s focused on the possibility of injury.
“I can’t wait for the start of camp,” he said, “so I can play games with the Edmonton Oilers.”
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 3
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 10
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 11
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 40
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)