Aug 16, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
The 2013 Winter Classic will have a decidedly maize and blue feel.
The game will be played at the home of the University of Michigan Wolverines — Michigan Stadium — and now, it’s been revealed the legendary coach of the Wolverines’ hockey team will suit up for the Wings.
According to the Detroit News, Red Berenson — the fifth-winningest coach in collegiate hockey history — will suit up for Detroit when the Wings alumni face the Leafs alumni on Dec. 31 at Comerica Park.
Berenson played 283 games with the Red Wings from 1970-75. In 1971-72 he finished third on the team in scoring (with 69 points), trailing only Marcel Dionne and Mickey Redmond. Redmond will be one of Berenson’s teammates on the Detroit alumni team.
Along with Berenson, the News reported three other additions to the Red Wings squad: Aaron Ward, Jimmy Carson and Dennis Polonich.
Full Rosters (as of 8/16/2012)
Red Berenson, Jimmy Carson, Dino Ciccarelli, Alex Delvecchio, Kris Draper, Sergei Fedorov, Joe Kocur, Martin Lapointe, Igor Larionov, Ted Lindsay, Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty, John Ogrodnick, Dennis Polonich, Mickey Redmond, Luc Robitaille
Chris Chelios, Paul Coffey, Mathieu Dandenault, Jiri Fischer, Viacheslav Fetisov, Mark Howe, Vladimir Konstantinov, Larry Murphy, Aaron Ward
Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon
Scotty Bowman, Barry Smith
Dave Andreychuk, Wendel Clark, Russ Courtnall, Vincent Damphousse, Bill Derlago, Tie Domi, Ron Ellis, Doug Gilmour, Gary Leeman, Kevin Maguire, Brad May, Lanny McDonald, Gary Roberts, Darryl Sittler, Darcy Tucker, Rick Vaive, Tiger Williams
Dave Ellett, Jim McKenny, Bryan McCabe, Bob McGill
Johnny Bower, Curtis Joseph, Mike Palmateer, Felix Potvin
Red Kelly, Pat Quinn
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 0
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 33
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 23
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 48
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)