Aug 16, 2012, 7:30 PM EST
The 2013 Winter Classic will have a decidedly maize and blue feel.
The game will be played at the home of the University of Michigan Wolverines — Michigan Stadium — and now, it’s been revealed the legendary coach of the Wolverines’ hockey team will suit up for the Wings.
According to the Detroit News, Red Berenson — the fifth-winningest coach in collegiate hockey history — will suit up for Detroit when the Wings alumni face the Leafs alumni on Dec. 31 at Comerica Park.
Berenson played 283 games with the Red Wings from 1970-75. In 1971-72 he finished third on the team in scoring (with 69 points), trailing only Marcel Dionne and Mickey Redmond. Redmond will be one of Berenson’s teammates on the Detroit alumni team.
Along with Berenson, the News reported three other additions to the Red Wings squad: Aaron Ward, Jimmy Carson and Dennis Polonich.
Full Rosters (as of 8/16/2012)
Red Berenson, Jimmy Carson, Dino Ciccarelli, Alex Delvecchio, Kris Draper, Sergei Fedorov, Joe Kocur, Martin Lapointe, Igor Larionov, Ted Lindsay, Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty, John Ogrodnick, Dennis Polonich, Mickey Redmond, Luc Robitaille
Chris Chelios, Paul Coffey, Mathieu Dandenault, Jiri Fischer, Viacheslav Fetisov, Mark Howe, Vladimir Konstantinov, Larry Murphy, Aaron Ward
Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon
Scotty Bowman, Barry Smith
Dave Andreychuk, Wendel Clark, Russ Courtnall, Vincent Damphousse, Bill Derlago, Tie Domi, Ron Ellis, Doug Gilmour, Gary Leeman, Kevin Maguire, Brad May, Lanny McDonald, Gary Roberts, Darryl Sittler, Darcy Tucker, Rick Vaive, Tiger Williams
Dave Ellett, Jim McKenny, Bryan McCabe, Bob McGill
Johnny Bower, Curtis Joseph, Mike Palmateer, Felix Potvin
Red Kelly, Pat Quinn
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 3
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)