Aug 16, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
The 2013 Winter Classic will have a decidedly maize and blue feel.
The game will be played at the home of the University of Michigan Wolverines — Michigan Stadium — and now, it’s been revealed the legendary coach of the Wolverines’ hockey team will suit up for the Wings.
According to the Detroit News, Red Berenson — the fifth-winningest coach in collegiate hockey history — will suit up for Detroit when the Wings alumni face the Leafs alumni on Dec. 31 at Comerica Park.
Berenson played 283 games with the Red Wings from 1970-75. In 1971-72 he finished third on the team in scoring (with 69 points), trailing only Marcel Dionne and Mickey Redmond. Redmond will be one of Berenson’s teammates on the Detroit alumni team.
Along with Berenson, the News reported three other additions to the Red Wings squad: Aaron Ward, Jimmy Carson and Dennis Polonich.
Full Rosters (as of 8/16/2012)
Red Berenson, Jimmy Carson, Dino Ciccarelli, Alex Delvecchio, Kris Draper, Sergei Fedorov, Joe Kocur, Martin Lapointe, Igor Larionov, Ted Lindsay, Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty, John Ogrodnick, Dennis Polonich, Mickey Redmond, Luc Robitaille
Chris Chelios, Paul Coffey, Mathieu Dandenault, Jiri Fischer, Viacheslav Fetisov, Mark Howe, Vladimir Konstantinov, Larry Murphy, Aaron Ward
Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon
Scotty Bowman, Barry Smith
Dave Andreychuk, Wendel Clark, Russ Courtnall, Vincent Damphousse, Bill Derlago, Tie Domi, Ron Ellis, Doug Gilmour, Gary Leeman, Kevin Maguire, Brad May, Lanny McDonald, Gary Roberts, Darryl Sittler, Darcy Tucker, Rick Vaive, Tiger Williams
Dave Ellett, Jim McKenny, Bryan McCabe, Bob McGill
Johnny Bower, Curtis Joseph, Mike Palmateer, Felix Potvin
Red Kelly, Pat Quinn
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 28
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 58
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte