Aug 16, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
If Chris Campoli‘s words are any indication, NHL players aren’t just disappointed with the owners’ response to their CBA proposal.
They’re frustrated, too.
“The industry’s grown a billion dollars since [the lockout] and basically they just want more money,” said Campoli, a member of the NHLPA’s negotiating committee. “I thought in our proposal we made a step and considerable concessions to them.
“Frankly, it was a little disappointing to see the response yesterday and the view they have on it.”
More, from the Globe and Mail:
Campoli was one of three NHL players who took part in Thursday’s sub-committee meetings, which covered secondary issues not related to the economic ones that have divided the sides.
An unrestricted free agent who spent last season in Montreal, Campoli has emerged as one of the strongest voices among the players.
The veteran defenceman has attended six bargaining sessions this summer and was hopeful that Tuesday’s NHLPA proposal might kickstart negotiations.
Campoli went on to describe the owners’ initial proposal as “aggressive” and said the players could’ve chosen to reply in kind — but didn’t.
“We could have taken an aggressive stance the other way and we didn’t,” he said. “You know, we want to fix the systematic issues they have with the way things are run and I think we’re being more than fair.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)