Aug 16, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings announced a significant casualty of the current labor strife on Thursday, canceling their annual prospect tournament in Traverse City.
“Due to the uncertainty surrounding the collective bargaining agreement and the advance commitments required from the various parties including hotels, airlines, teams, players and their families, we have determined that it is in everyone’s best interest to cancel this year’s tournament,” Detroit GM Ken Holland said on the team website.
The tournament has been held in Traverse City since 1998 and this will mark the first time it’s been canceled. It was scheduled to begin on Sept. 15, the same day that the current collective bargaining agreement expires.
Teams slated to participate in this year’s event included Buffalo, Carolina, Columbus, Dallas, Minnesota, St. Louis and the New York Rangers.
The tournament has long been known as one of the most popular on the preseason circuit, thanks in large part to the number of prized prospects the Detroit organization has churned out over the last 15 years.
Past participants for the Wings include Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Niklas Kronwall, Valtteri Filppula, Darren Helm, Jonathan Ericsson, Jakub Kindl, Justin Abdelkader, Cory Emmerton, Jan Mursak, and Brendan Smith.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 17
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)