Aug 16, 2012, 12:24 PM EST
Former NHL star Alex Kovalev is hoping to parlay an awful season in the KHL into a return to North America.
Kovalev says he’s had offers from teams (presumably NHL ones) to attend training camp (whenever those might occur).
The 39-year-old forward had one goal and five assists in 22 games with Moscow Oblast Atlant in 2011-12.
Kovalev said in June (after he’d been released by the KHL club) that he’d like to return to the Montreal Canadiens.
He also said he never should’ve left the Habs.
“I’m working hard, training three times a week and keeping in shape,” he told the Montreal Gazette. “Hopefully, somebody will get interested.
“I’m playing a lot of tennis, working out three hours a day. I feel bad about myself if I don’t do something for a couple weeks. I start hating myself. I like to feel energetic and powerful even when I just walk around.”
In 2010-11, Kovalev scored 16 times and added 18 helpers with the Senators and Penguins.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)