Aug 16, 2012, 12:24 PM EST
Former NHL star Alex Kovalev is hoping to parlay an awful season in the KHL into a return to North America.
Kovalev says he’s had offers from teams (presumably NHL ones) to attend training camp (whenever those might occur).
The 39-year-old forward had one goal and five assists in 22 games with Moscow Oblast Atlant in 2011-12.
Kovalev said in June (after he’d been released by the KHL club) that he’d like to return to the Montreal Canadiens.
He also said he never should’ve left the Habs.
“I’m working hard, training three times a week and keeping in shape,” he told the Montreal Gazette. “Hopefully, somebody will get interested.
“I’m playing a lot of tennis, working out three hours a day. I feel bad about myself if I don’t do something for a couple weeks. I start hating myself. I like to feel energetic and powerful even when I just walk around.”
In 2010-11, Kovalev scored 16 times and added 18 helpers with the Senators and Penguins.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)