Aug 15, 2012, 11:17 PM EDT
There’s no word yet on whether or not the deal carries any kind of no-trade clause.
Simmonds has one year remaining on his current deal, which carries a $1.75 million annual cap hit.
The former Los Angeles Kings forward had a breakthrough season after being a part of the Mike Richards trade, setting career-highs in goals (28) and points (49).
Simmonds had a solid showing the playoffs as well, scoring six points in 11 postseason contests while collecting 38 penalty minutes.
That combination of grit and solid skill made him popular pretty quickly in Philadelphia. From the look of things, they intend to keep him around for a long time.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 20
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17