Aug 15, 2012, 11:17 PM EST
There’s no word yet on whether or not the deal carries any kind of no-trade clause.
Simmonds has one year remaining on his current deal, which carries a $1.75 million annual cap hit.
The former Los Angeles Kings forward had a breakthrough season after being a part of the Mike Richards trade, setting career-highs in goals (28) and points (49).
Simmonds had a solid showing the playoffs as well, scoring six points in 11 postseason contests while collecting 38 penalty minutes.
That combination of grit and solid skill made him popular pretty quickly in Philadelphia. From the look of things, they intend to keep him around for a long time.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 16
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)