Aug 15, 2012, 10:20 PM EDT
To the surprise of many, negotiations between Ryan O’Reilly and the Colorado Avalanche are dragging on deep into the summer.
Adrian Dater explains that O’Reilly’s reps Newport Sports Agency can drive a hard bargain, but he thinks that O’Reilly is unlikely to hold out of training camp.
Whenever that might begin.
If training camp starts on time (more on that in the second half of this blog) I would still put the chance at about one percent that O’Reilly wouldn’t be there at the start. I just don’t think he’s the type of guy who would engage in a holdout situation. That said, he’s a client of Newport Sports, and Newport Sports is going to be counseling him on what is acceptable, in their view, to take on his next contract.
Bottom line: something will get done.
O’Reilly’s breakout season is a big reason why negotiations are dragging on, but it’s also why Colorado is excited about the rising young talent.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)