Aug 15, 2012, 10:20 PM EST
To the surprise of many, negotiations between Ryan O’Reilly and the Colorado Avalanche are dragging on deep into the summer.
Adrian Dater explains that O’Reilly’s reps Newport Sports Agency can drive a hard bargain, but he thinks that O’Reilly is unlikely to hold out of training camp.
Whenever that might begin.
If training camp starts on time (more on that in the second half of this blog) I would still put the chance at about one percent that O’Reilly wouldn’t be there at the start. I just don’t think he’s the type of guy who would engage in a holdout situation. That said, he’s a client of Newport Sports, and Newport Sports is going to be counseling him on what is acceptable, in their view, to take on his next contract.
Bottom line: something will get done.
O’Reilly’s breakout season is a big reason why negotiations are dragging on, but it’s also why Colorado is excited about the rising young talent.
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 4
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 65
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 134
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (134)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (116)