Aug 14, 2012, 8:04 PM EDT
A hip injury and eventual surgery sidelined Steve Begin, but if he has his way, that issue won’t end his career.
Renaud P. Lavoie reports that the Calgary Flames will allow the gritty forward to tryout in hopes of making the team next season.
Steve Bégin get a try out with the Flames. He had a hip surgery this winter and met the doctors in Nashville yesterday. Got the green light.—
Renaud P Lavoie (@RenLavoieRDS) August 14, 2012
Begin missed all of the 2011-12 season and only managed to play two games for the Nashville Predators in 2010-11.
The 34-year-old grinder has played 488 NHL games, collecting exactly 100 points and 539 penalty minutes during 14 abbreviated seasons of work.
He set a career-high by playing 77 games with the Boston Bruins in 2009-10, only the second time in his career he exceeded 70 games played.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)