Aug 14, 2012, 8:04 PM EDT
A hip injury and eventual surgery sidelined Steve Begin, but if he has his way, that issue won’t end his career.
Renaud P. Lavoie reports that the Calgary Flames will allow the gritty forward to tryout in hopes of making the team next season.
Steve Bégin get a try out with the Flames. He had a hip surgery this winter and met the doctors in Nashville yesterday. Got the green light.—
Renaud P Lavoie (@RenLavoieRDS) August 14, 2012
Begin missed all of the 2011-12 season and only managed to play two games for the Nashville Predators in 2010-11.
The 34-year-old grinder has played 488 NHL games, collecting exactly 100 points and 539 penalty minutes during 14 abbreviated seasons of work.
He set a career-high by playing 77 games with the Boston Bruins in 2009-10, only the second time in his career he exceeded 70 games played.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 2
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 76
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)