Aug 14, 2012, 8:04 PM EDT
A hip injury and eventual surgery sidelined Steve Begin, but if he has his way, that issue won’t end his career.
Renaud P. Lavoie reports that the Calgary Flames will allow the gritty forward to tryout in hopes of making the team next season.
Steve Bégin get a try out with the Flames. He had a hip surgery this winter and met the doctors in Nashville yesterday. Got the green light.—
Renaud P Lavoie (@RenLavoieRDS) August 14, 2012
Begin missed all of the 2011-12 season and only managed to play two games for the Nashville Predators in 2010-11.
The 34-year-old grinder has played 488 NHL games, collecting exactly 100 points and 539 penalty minutes during 14 abbreviated seasons of work.
He set a career-high by playing 77 games with the Boston Bruins in 2009-10, only the second time in his career he exceeded 70 games played.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)