Aug 14, 2012, 11:20 PM EDT
Cory Schneider isn’t just replacing a goalie who took the Vancouver Canucks within a win of winning a Stanley Cup in 2011.
In replacing Roberto Luongo, he’ll follow an incredibly difficult act: arguably the greatest goalie in franchise history.
Just look at the major team records Luongo holds:
Most wins in a season: 47 (in 2006-07), also owns second place with 40 in 09-10
Most shutouts in a season: 9 (in 2008-09)
Most games played in a season: 76 (in 2006-07)
Longest single-season shutout streak: 242:36 (in 2008-09)
Tied for the most shutouts and wins in a single postseason: (15 wins and four shutouts in 2011)
Those numbers make one think of a certain hair metal song of questionable repute.
Schneider has produced excellent numbers as a backup in Vancouver, but he has a long way to go to truly top Luongo – even if many find that hard to believe.
Then again, to plenty of Canucks fans, merely winning 16 postseason games – and the franchise’s first Stanley Cup – would mean more than enough.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)