Aug 14, 2012, 11:20 PM EST
Cory Schneider isn’t just replacing a goalie who took the Vancouver Canucks within a win of winning a Stanley Cup in 2011.
In replacing Roberto Luongo, he’ll follow an incredibly difficult act: arguably the greatest goalie in franchise history.
Just look at the major team records Luongo holds:
Most wins in a season: 47 (in 2006-07), also owns second place with 40 in 09-10
Most shutouts in a season: 9 (in 2008-09)
Most games played in a season: 76 (in 2006-07)
Longest single-season shutout streak: 242:36 (in 2008-09)
Tied for the most shutouts and wins in a single postseason: (15 wins and four shutouts in 2011)
Those numbers make one think of a certain hair metal song of questionable repute.
Schneider has produced excellent numbers as a backup in Vancouver, but he has a long way to go to truly top Luongo – even if many find that hard to believe.
Then again, to plenty of Canucks fans, merely winning 16 postseason games – and the franchise’s first Stanley Cup – would mean more than enough.
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 1
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 1
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)