Aug 14, 2012, 11:20 PM EDT
Cory Schneider isn’t just replacing a goalie who took the Vancouver Canucks within a win of winning a Stanley Cup in 2011.
In replacing Roberto Luongo, he’ll follow an incredibly difficult act: arguably the greatest goalie in franchise history.
Just look at the major team records Luongo holds:
Most wins in a season: 47 (in 2006-07), also owns second place with 40 in 09-10
Most shutouts in a season: 9 (in 2008-09)
Most games played in a season: 76 (in 2006-07)
Longest single-season shutout streak: 242:36 (in 2008-09)
Tied for the most shutouts and wins in a single postseason: (15 wins and four shutouts in 2011)
Those numbers make one think of a certain hair metal song of questionable repute.
Schneider has produced excellent numbers as a backup in Vancouver, but he has a long way to go to truly top Luongo – even if many find that hard to believe.
Then again, to plenty of Canucks fans, merely winning 16 postseason games – and the franchise’s first Stanley Cup – would mean more than enough.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 1
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 43
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 75
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks