Aug 14, 2012, 11:20 PM EST
Cory Schneider isn’t just replacing a goalie who took the Vancouver Canucks within a win of winning a Stanley Cup in 2011.
In replacing Roberto Luongo, he’ll follow an incredibly difficult act: arguably the greatest goalie in franchise history.
Just look at the major team records Luongo holds:
Most wins in a season: 47 (in 2006-07), also owns second place with 40 in 09-10
Most shutouts in a season: 9 (in 2008-09)
Most games played in a season: 76 (in 2006-07)
Longest single-season shutout streak: 242:36 (in 2008-09)
Tied for the most shutouts and wins in a single postseason: (15 wins and four shutouts in 2011)
Those numbers make one think of a certain hair metal song of questionable repute.
Schneider has produced excellent numbers as a backup in Vancouver, but he has a long way to go to truly top Luongo – even if many find that hard to believe.
Then again, to plenty of Canucks fans, merely winning 16 postseason games – and the franchise’s first Stanley Cup – would mean more than enough.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)